[wtpp] Transport decision making, simulation and new uses of models

  • eric.britton@ecoplan.org
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 15, 2000
      Dear Friends,

      This is a category of decision making tools to which some of my colleagues
      and I have been giving quite a bit of thought and actual practical work and
      application over the last half dozen years. Behind all the shiny tools is a
      simple fact and that is that we human beings (and voters) are by and large
      pretty inertial creatures, and we basically fear for differences that may
      threaten the quality of our daily lives Like any big, unknown, uncertain
      change in our transportation system or daily movement habits and
      possibilities. So, the more we can look to any such changes with a certain
      level of certainty and confidence, the less likely we are to resist them

      Here is where these new techniques come in, and in this context I would like
      to draw your attention now to
      http://www.daimlerchrysler.com/index_e.htm?/news/top/t91108_e.htm Let me say
      no more about it at this point than that. The curious will have a look and
      draw their own conclusions. The complacent will move on.

      P.S. Is it perfect? Not likely. In fact I find their base visualization of
      the future of cities, or at least their base model, pretty scary (brrrh!)
      and far indeed from what I regard as desirable (far too nay pristine experts
      and omniscient administrators, not nearly enough active citizens). But all
      that aside the IDEA of the tool is one of enormous potential and validity,
      and one that I know that many of us will continue to pursue.

      Do we have a discussion here?

      Eric Britton

      ecopl@n ___ technology, economy, society ___
      Eric.Britton@... URL www.ecoplan.org
      Voice/Videoconference +331.4441.6340 (1-4)
      Voicemail/Fax hotline: Europe +331 5301 2896
      Voicemail/Fax hotline: North America +1 888 522 6419 (toll free)