958When all the Chinese have cars! Update: Xiamen plans to build a bike traffic network

    Dec 30, 2008

      On Behalf Of Rory McMullan

      Dear Eric and others who may be interested,

      On my extended tour of
      China, I am spending some days on the lovely car free island of Gu lan yu, a few hundred metres across a narrow strait from the busy town of Xiamen with its fantastic brand new BRT system.

      Just a few days ago I visited the amazing folk at the local environmental protection NGO XiaMen Green Cross, who organise the car free day here. They told me the sad news that a man had been killed that morning on a bike, and his head was completely squashed, making their job of promoting green transport even more difficult. I suggested they should campaign get bike lanes back into the city, since they have completely dissappered even though the majority of people do not own cars. They of course told me that they had been working to protect bike lanes for over a decade, so far without much success, although some roads they have campaigned for, have now been pedestrianised.

      Then opening my email this morning, I found an email from a friend at Beijing Transport University with this good news.... (translated using google I'm afraid, but you should get the idea)

      http://www.tranbbs. com/news/ cnnews/Construction /news_ 36353.shtml
      Xiamen plans to build a bike traffic network

      Future in Xiamen, the public will be able to easily bike or walk by the shortest route between the approach of district. In yesterday's mayor on the green, Xiamen Planning Secretary Zhao Jing said, Xiamen Road, consider the introduction of non-motorized system.

          赵局长said that in the future, bicycle travel system will form a ring around the whole city traffic. In Xiamen between every two residential building, must be set aside a channel in order to protect the bike and walking can be smoothly carried out, the public so long as cycling or walking, you can easily reach another district.

           In addition, Xiamen will be divided into three regions to build the region on foot, and divided by color, which specifically refers to urban green area built-up area outside the context of the mountain, mainly to satisfy the public mountaineering, leisure, sports requirements; orange region is the urban built-up area in the public walk from the main regional daily life; blue Pro coastal cities in the region-specific public events around the region, mainly to satisfy the public view of the sea pro-sea and leisure requirements. It is learned that the life of the people of Xiamen will be the main activities of regional planning for the 96 foot unit, in which bambooLake, Zhongshan Road, Jiang first five geo-Bay, Kwun Yam Shan, Maluan Bay, Xinglin Bay, filling the mouth of西柯, Hsintien will focus on the building. Important walking path, the width of the sidewalk of the passage of not less than 3 m wide green spaces in the path of the paragraphs, will be an integrated set of rest facilities green. Moreover, exports to walk away from the track sites, bus stops, BRT site distance generally not more than 100 meters.