93Re: [WorldTransport] data search: city energy, air pollution, transport

  • Roger Gorham
    Apr 15, 2002
      Takatsugu,

      The good news is that there probably is a database that at least could
      begin to meet your needs: the Newman and Laube ("Millenium Cities")
      Database. They've looked at 100 cities around the globe, and partitioned
      city-regions along the same lines as you have suggested. The bad news is
      that it isn't cheap; it costs about 1000 euro, so you'd probably have to
      convince your department to buy it. It's available from the
      International Association of Public Transport (UITP).

      I'm not sure I completely understand what you describe as the underlying
      assumptions of this project, but they may not be valid. You say that
      your assumption is that more "mobility" leads to more energy efficiency
      and less air pollutant emissions. You will need to clearly define what
      you mean by "mobility" and "energy efficiency" in order for that
      assumption to have any meaning. Many people (mistakenly) use the terms
      "mobility" and "accessibility" interchangeably. If you actually mean
      "accessibility" (i.e. enhancing the capacity of households to access
      goods, services, information, and activities) then your assumptions may
      make sense, depending on how you measure accessibility. If you mean
      mobility in its literal sense (i.e. enhancing the ability of people to
      move around), then your assumption is much more problematic. If people
      need to travel more to meet their daily needs, then a reduction in
      per-mile-driven emissions of CO2 and local pollutants may not translate
      into an actual reduction per capita or per unit of GDP. (Again, how are
      you measuring energy efficiency?)

      Roger Gorham