819RE: WorldTransport Forum Re: [NewMobilityCafe] "the next Jane Jacobs"??? - Road to hell is paved with public transit

  • Lee Schipper
    May 22, 2008

      As I posted earlier, a good assessment of the data from the US Bureau of Transport Statistics

      http://www.bts.gov/publications/national_transportation_statistics/#chapter_4

      shows that the O’toole apparenetly used only the energy intensity of cars but conveniently forgot

      that about 40% of our cars are light trucks, i.e., 82% of our light trucks are used as cars. They have to be put in the

      average energy intensity, which makes it rise considerably..

      BTS also shows that the energy intensity of city bus travel is about 3400 btu/passenger mile.

      So city buses are lower than the average “car” in the US.

      Having said that, the points made by Craig are even more important. Remember The “Skeptical Environmentalist” (Lomborg),

      Whose credentials were absent, too.

      I already wrote to the Globe and Mail. My parents were from Toronto, so it is an old household item!

      Having said all that, I would counsel people not to glorify either the writer nor the “environmentalist”.  Both will collapse of their own leakiness

      As the hot are dissipates.

      Lee Schipper

      Visiting Scholar,

      Univ of Calif Transport Center