818Re: WorldTransport Forum Re: [NewMobilityCafe] "the next Jane Jacobs"??? - Road to hell is paved with public transit

  • ablair@region.waterloo.on.ca
    May 22, 2008
      I was going to note to people that Neil Reynolds is known for these type of
      views to readers of Canada's The Globe & Mail newspaper - note that he
      typically writes as part of the Report on Business section. The other week
      he argued for the car as having a smaller carbon footprint than those who
      walk (provoking a letter to the editor from the institute he was quoting
      and noting that he was taking their data out of context). The current
      column has resulted in a couple of letters challenging his points.
      His column for tomorrow will tell us "How to get rid of traffic congestion
      and get rapid transit" which should be an interesting read.

      Blair Allen
      Waterloo, Canada

      "Craig Townsend"
      <townsend@alcor.c
      oncordia.ca> To
      Sent by: WorldTransport@yahoogroups.com
      WorldTransport@ya cc
      hoogroups.com
      Subject
      Re: WorldTransport Forum Re:
      22/05/2008 09:26 [NewMobilityCafe] "the next Jane
      AM Jacobs"??? - Road to hell is paved
      with public transit

      Please respond to
      WorldTransport@ya
      hoogroups.com

      The Canadian Urban Transit Association CUTA) is apparently preparing an
      official response to the opinion column by Neil Reynolds, who is not just
      any "journo" but has been the editor in chief in two of Canada's larger
      city newspapers, and has run as a politician for the Libertarian Party. It
      is, however, just an opinion column.

      What I see as problematic in the column (and we shouldn't be attacking the
      individuals) is that 1. O'Toole is being presented as someone with more
      credibility (and I believe credentials, but I may be wrong about this)
      than he actually has; 2. the source of the data is not presented so we
      can't analyze it, 3. the reported findings are based on US transport
      system data which is so extremely high in terms of personal automobile use
      and so extremely low in terms of transit vehicle loadings that the
      findings could plausibly be true, even if it is true it wouldn't hold for
      other places, including across the border in Canada, and 4. it neglects to
      mention walking or cycling as a mode of transportation. I can see other
      flaws that are likely inherent to the paper, but rather on commenting on
      something I have not read, I'll restrain myself.

      I'm counting on CUTA to come up with a strong, reasoned response to
      Reynolds' column. If you feel strongly, I would recommend sending letters
      to the editor of The Globe and Mail newspaper, which is Canada's largest
      and most respected national newspaper. I can't find the address from the
      electronic edition and I don't currently have a print edition, but if
      anyone feels motivated and would like that address please email me
      off-list and I can find it for you.

      Craig Townsend
      Montreal, Quebec, Canada

      http://www.theage.com.au/news/national/melbourne-uni-demotes-transport-dissident/2008/05/19/1211182704265.html

> [...]
      >>system in the U.S. - but only because its buses
      >>carry an average of 17 passengers, or 60 per
      >>cent more "load" than the 10.7 passengers
      >>carried by the average public transit bus
      >>nationwide. (The average public transit bus has
      >>seats for 39 people and standing room for 20.)
      >>New York keeps losing market share to cars, too.
      >>In 1985, the public transit share of passenger
      >>travel in New York was 12.7 per cent, far ahead
      >>of the No. 2 system (with a 5.2 per cent share)
      >>in Chicago. By 2005, though, the public transit
      >>share in New York had fallen to 9.6 per cent;
      >>Chicago, in the same period, had fallen to 3.7
      >>per cent. At the lower end, Buffalo fell from a
      >>1.2 per cent share of the passenger market to
      >>0.6 per cent; Sacramento fell to a 0.7 per cent share from 0.9 per cent.
      >>
      >>The great boondoggle of the past few years, Mr.
      >>O'Toole says, has been light rail, a fashionable
      >>alternative to heavy rail, the underground subway train.
      >>
      >>"Most heavy-rail systems are less efficient than
      >>the average passenger car and none is as
      >>efficient as a Toyota Prius," Mr. O'Toole says.
      >>"Most light-rail systems use more energy per
      >>passenger mile than an average passenger car,
      >>some are worse than the average light truck and
      >>none is as efficient as a Prius." Curiously, the
      >>Prius delivers exceptional mileage but emits
      >>roughly the same greenhouse gases (per passenger
      >>mile) as the average car and average public transit train.
      >>
      >>Perhaps because they remain market-driven
      >>enterprises, cars and trucks have eclipsed buses
      >>and trains - by a wide margin - in
      >>energy-efficiency advances in the past
      >>generation. Americans drive four times as many
      >>miles as they did 40 years ago but produce less
      >>than half as much automotive air pollution. Some
      >>new cars pollute less than 1 per cent as much as new cars did in the
      >> 1970s.
      >>
      >>Public transit buses are a different story. In
      >>1970, the average bus used 2,500 BTUs per
      >>passenger mile; by 2005, it used 4,300 BTUs, a
      >>70 per cent increase. In 1970, by way of
      >>contrast, light trucks used 9,000 BTUs per
      >>passenger mile; in 2005, they used 4,300 - a
      >>decrease of 50 per cent. The average pickup
      >>truck is now as energy efficient now, per passenger mile, as the average
      >> bus.
      >>
      >>"The fuel economies for bus transit have
      >>declined in every five-year period since 1970,"
      >>Mr. O'Toole says. Why? U.S. public transit
      >>agencies keep buying larger and more expensive
      >>vehicles - and then driving around town with
      >>fewer people in them. In 1982, the average
      >>number of bus occupants was 13.8; by 2006, it was 10.7.
      >>
      >>"Since 1992, American cities have invested
      >>$100-billion in urban rail transit," Mr. O'Toole
      >>says. "Yet no city in the country has managed to
      >>increase [public] transit's share of commuters
      >>by more than 1 per cent. No city has managed to
      >>reduce driving by even 1 per cent. People
      >>respond to high fuel prices by buying more
      >>efficient cars - and then driving more."

    • Show all 5 messages in this topic