632Re: WorldTransport Forum Comment on WTPP Vol 12, No. 3

  • John Whitelegg
    Jul 24, 2006
      Hi,

      A small contribution. We have to move (I suggest) from an energy/emissions
      perspective on this to a wider "total impact" perspective. It is remarkable
      that after 30 years or more of general debate about transport and
      environmental impacts we still miss/downplay things like:

      land take (and the impact of loss of land for transport infrastructure on
      food production and biodiversity)

      fragmentation (a tiny land take is a 100% change in character if it
      physically divides and separates a formerly unified area)

      landscape (see Ian McHarg)

      noise (see excellent analyses from World Health Organisation)

      fiscal matters (who says that spending billions on roads or high speed
      trains is a good way to allocate resources against competing demands in
      health care, education, poverty, pensions etc)

      social justice (what proportion of our transport spending benefits the top
      10% income band? We have some evidence in the UK that 30% of spending
      benefits the top 10%)

      children..are our transport systems and cities child friendly. Definitely
      not

      transport and health. is there a connection between the Uk with the highest
      rate of child obesity in Europe and the highest rate of kids being taken to
      school by car in Europe?

      there is lots more!

      energy and emissions are important but we have to be careful to factor in
      other things

      very best wishes

      John Whitelegg