624Re: 回复: WorldTransport Forum C omment on WTPP Vol 12, No. 3

  • Anzir Boodoo
    Jul 10, 2006
      On 7 Jul 2006, at 20:50, Sujit Patwardhan wrote:
      > Ken makes an important point, but I think it's somewhat more
      > complex than that.
      > Although it is true that rail is perhaps cleaner environmentally at
      > the end-user stage, we are all aware of the environmental issue
      > relating to generating electricity (hydro-electric??, coal-fired??
      > nuclear??). I think we are also conscious of the Rail versus BRT
      > debate at least for the urban traffic scenario which is mainly
      > centred around the great attraction for Metro systems which are at
      > least ten times more expensive than a top class BRT and it also
      > links the argument to the issues of city size, urban sprawl as well
      > as for its possible negative impact on pubic funds that are meagre
      > to start with.
      > However the criteria would perhaps alter if one is talking about
      > regional or national transport where a greater focus on rail
      > instead of road transport would I suppose have greater justification.
      I still think it depends on other factors.

      I agree that city authorities love the idea of Metro systems, but
      these can sometimes be of limited use.

      For suburb to city transport, urban heavy rail (commuter rail) is a
      good choice:

      1. The infrastructure is already there in many cases, and just needs
      upgrading (sometimes) and new stations
      2. It does not use the street, and therefore frees road capacity
      3. It is faster than BRT
      4. Many cities already have networks, even if they are badly
      developed in many cases.

      Many cities in Northern England depend on their rail networks, and in
      some cases outdated or disused infrastructure has spurred the
      creation of Metro type systems at much lower cost than if they were
      built from new (as in Manchester and Newcastle). These can then be
      supplemented with top class BRT or low cost LRT. I have previously
      been working with people who aim to connect the two technologies,
      making them more compatible with each other, but this work is now
      impossible without funding and technical backup - and guess what, the
      large transport engineering firms want to sell BRT and LRT rather
      than talk to us...

      Anzir Boodoo MRes MILT Aff. IRO
      transcience, 72 Staplehurst, BRACKNELL RG12 8DD
    • Show all 14 messages in this topic