618Re: 回复: WorldTransport Forum Comment on WTPP Vol 12, No. 3

  • Sujit Patwardhan
    Jul 7, 2006

      Ken makes an important point, but I think it's somewhat more complex than that.

      Although it is true that rail is perhaps cleaner environmentally at the end-user stage, we are all aware of the environmental issue relating to generating electricity (hydro-electric??, coal-fired?? nuclear??). I think we are also conscious of the Rail versus BRT debate at least for the urban traffic scenario which is mainly centred around the great attraction for  Metro systems which are at least ten times more expensive than a top class BRT and it also links the argument to the issues of city size, urban sprawl as well as for its possible negative impact on pubic funds that are meagre to start with.

      However the criteria would perhaps alter if one is talking about regional or national transport where a greater focus on rail instead of road transport would I suppose have greater justification.

      With regards,

      --
      Sujit
      Sujit Patwardhan

      On 7/7/06, kunpeng chen < prcbus@...> wrote:
      Dear All,
      Please visit www.combusto.net
      for cleaner air.
      Regards,
      Ron Tan
      0065-9145-9147
      www.combusto.net

      Ken@..., UNEXPECTED_DATA_AFTER_ADDRESS@.SYNTAX-ERROR. 写道:
      We would like to see more focus on rail rather than road, as it is the much cleaner environmentally sustainable mode of transport that leaves a smaller footprint on the environment also.

      Ken Crispin. Project Manager.
      Citizens Environmental Advocacy Centre In'c.
      Napier. NZ.

      抢注雅虎免费邮箱-3.5G容量,20M附件!

      Sujit Patwardhan
      sujit@...