559RE: re WorldTransport Forum Sustainable transportation in tongues was Fwd: Re: [Kyoto2020] Express toll roads + More on

  • Carlos F. Pardo SUTP
    Feb 1, 2006

      To extend Michael’s post, I think the basic (physical) dimension that has to be taken into account when thinking about sustainable transport (and transport policy) is distance traveled rather than time. Trips must be short in distance, regardless of their length in time. People have to travel one hour per day, by means of any mode of transport. The key is to develop cities and transport systems which would easily provide that hour in sustainable distances. The main “unsustainability” problem in the US is sprawl, which generates longer travel distances, within the same time frame. People will want to live farther because they are traveling faster. However, if you travel by car in cities like Bangkok, the same hour can be spent in much less distance than walking (I did this test many times, and I always won walking!). People are used to cars to such extent that they feel the time spent will always be less than walking or by bus.

      -          A reminder that will always help us: speed = distance/time; time = distance/speed; distance = time x speed.

      -          A second reminder: Einstein’s special relativity formula was correct only for very high speeds (but that is a slightly different topic).

      Best regards,

      Carlos F. Pardo
      Coordinador de Proyecto
      GTZ - Proyecto de Transporte Sostenible (SUTP, SUTP-LAC)
      Cl 125bis # 41-28 of 404
      Bogotá D.C., Colombia
      Tel:  +57 (1) 215 7812 / 635 9048

      Fax: +57 (1) 635 9015 / 236 2309
      Mobile: +57 (3) 15 296 0662
      e-mail: carlos.pardo@...
      Página: www.sutp.org

      - Visite nuestra nueva sección de Latinoamérica y el Caribe en http://www.sutp.org/esp/espindex.htm

      From: Anzir Boodoo <ab@...>
      Sender: Kyoto2020@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2005 22:24:40 +0000
      Subject: Re: [Kyoto2020] Express toll roads + More on

      Eric,

      On 13 Dec 2005, at 14:04, Eric Britton wrote:
      > I love trams by whatever name and feel that indeed they have their
      > place in and around our cities-- but that is a very specific place
      > and should not be allowed to be interpreted as the substitute for
      > sliced bread.
      >
      > What’s wrong with all-light rail in this overall strategic context?
      > Two things (again in my book):
      >
      > They cost a great deal more than other solutions which can do at
      > least as good and perhaps a better job in terms of all the basic
      > parameters that we need to address and meet ­ social, economics (of
      > individuals and the community as a whole), environmental, resource.
      > Public health, life quality, community.. .. and of course the long
      > list goes on.
      Can I offer http://www.trampower.co.uk as a possibility? They've been
      working on a low cost light rail system that claims to be
      commercially viable in many cities, and have called upon me to help
      publicise it.

      Of course, that doesn't deal with the implementation time and the
      political reluctance to have light rail that we experience in the UK.
      Systems which very successfully carry huge numbers of people in full
      to bursting trams are often described as "failing". partly because
      virtually none of the systems can recoup their huge construction costs.
      --
      Anzir Boodoo MRes MILT Aff. IRO
      transcience, Leeds Innovation Centre, 103 Clarendon Road, LEEDS LS2 9DF

    • Show all 5 messages in this topic