501Principal Voices, Transport - Old ideas and the new 800 pound gorilla

    Jun 25 4:45 AM

      “The difficulty lies, not in the new ideas, but in escaping from the old ones, which ramify, for those brought up as most of us have been, into every corner of our minds.”

      - Preface to The General Theory of Employment, Interest and Money (13 December 1935)

      Backdrop:

      ·        Principal Voices – Transport : http://www.principalvoices.com/transport.html

      ·        Kyoto World Cities Challenge Initiative – http://kyotocities.org

      Dear Jeff, Andy, Katie, Stan:

      Sorry to be so very persistent on this, but the point I am wishing to get through to you concerning how you handle the Principal Voices dialogues on matters of transportation is at once so flagrant and so important from the vantage of transportation policy and practice in people’s daily lives around the world, is really worth my continuing insistence.

      So how to do this efficiently for you, and to get across the point that the current reality of this sector is very different from the discussions structure that you originally set out to use?  Hmm.  Let me try this in three discrete steps.

      1. First to draw your attention to our original communications to you on this, which still do a pretty good job of setting out the issues and the choices.  I have tried to write this up in a way that will appeal at once to bright citizens with no particular background in the sector, but at the same time to handle it in a way that it will stand the acid test of the professionals who know all this like the back of their hands.  This then follows immediately below.

      2. Then to draw your attention to the fast growing list which at present consists of more than one hundred leading thinkers and doers in the sector world wide, who are identified in detail below (as putting their signatures on the Kyoto World Cities Challenge Initiative… itself a clear proof of this important new Voice in the sector).  The details of both the members of this list and of the justifications and intentions behind it, are spelled out in detail in the final section of this communication.

      3. Finally, and with the thought that if you hear on this not simply form me sitting here in Paris but others who are among the leading proponents of sustainable transportation world wide, I am forwarding this to several of the international consortia working in this area, along with an invitation that the members address to you a short note supporting this proposal (or of course otherwise if that is what they chose to do).

      Let me leave it at that for the moment. And in conclusion I want you to know that we think yours is a fine initiative, and indeed you have done a fine job in your choice of environment voices and they in turn have done you proud. And I see no reason why the transportation dialogue should not be at this same high level.

      Sustainable transportation is no longer a marginal side line or topic of interested to academics but far from the priorities of the real world.  With the combination of egregious systemic inefficiency and costs of the present arrangements, $100 oil around the corner, and a world that is  the undeniable reality of all that is summarized under the phrase climate modification and global warming, sustainable transport is suddenly the 800 pound gorilla who is now in the room when transport matters come up for discussions.  It would be a pity if you were not to bring this fully into your debates.

      With all good wishes,

      Eric Britton

      Chair, Kyoto World Cities Challenge: 2005-2007

      The Kyoto World Cities Challenge is at http://kyotocities.org

      The Commons Open Agenda is at http://www.ecoplan.org

      Le Frene, 8/10 rue Joseph Bara                75006 Paris, France

      Tel:  Europe: +331 4326 1323       N. America +1 310 601-8468

      E: secretariat@...   Backup: fekbritton@...

      Technology, Economy, Society

      Francis Eric Knight Britton
      Innovation consultancy/advisory