347WBCSD Mobility 2030 report - general commentary

  • metz@integerconsult.org
    Jul 18, 2004
      From: Paul Metz [mailto:metz@...]
      Sent: Sunday, July 18, 2004 9:21 PM
      To: Eric.Britton@...

      Dear Eric,

      Thank you for this initiative. If July 30 is indeed the end, I can only
      now make some remarks and wish they serve you in these 2 weeks.

      1. In the early stage of this WBCSD-project I met with the organisers
      and told them that their focus cannot credibly claim to cover
      "mobility". The report should be named more correctly "some first steps
      towards sustainable AUTOmobility". If not, I urged them to include
      public transport and the potentials for reduction of physical mobility
      by ICT, telework, teleconsults, telemeetings, ... Some other members of
      the same associations should be invited, not only the cars and fuels
      interests. And how can e.g. city design be included, if 'urban sprawl'
      is not accepted as a fact of nature ?

      2. The (inofficial) strategy of the WBCSD is to 'defend the licenses to
      operate' of its members as as long and cheaply as possible. It does so
      by presenting success stories, which support its lobby for voluntary and
      subsidised actions and against legislation. It mainly - if not only -
      represents transnational companies and usually agrees with the general
      business lobby ICC. In 1996 I co-founded and since then represent the
      pro-active European Business Council for Sustainable Energy. See
      <http://www.e5.org> www.e5.org for its agenda, which includes active
      support for Kyoto, carbon taxes and trading, elimination of perverse
      subsidies, etc. also on behalf of small and midsized companies. Also on
      my own website you find more.

      3. This report should be confronted with the Millennium Development
      Goals - should there be "access to mobility" in it ? - and with the
      Climate Convention. It is unlikely that the scenario until 2030
      projected in this study is compatible with these global superpriorities.
      It may be a good start, but does not show the appropriate sense of
      urgency. And how can mobility in developing countries 'leapfrog' and
      avoid repetition of the fossil, land-intensive route we try to end here?

      Finally, I am convinced of the good intentions of the experts involved
      in the WBCSD project group. My questions here aim at their bosses, the
      strategy of the companies and at the governmental decision makers they
      try to influence.

      Good luck and please explain why we have only 2 weeks. In August more
      experts may have time to contribute.

      Paul Metz

      INTEGeR... consult

      Dr Paul E. Metz Managing Consultant
      Phone +31 26 362 04 50

      Mobile +31 653 76 58 85
      Email Metz@...
      URL http://www.integerconsult.org

      Market intelligence for profitable green business
    • Show all 2 messages in this topic