292Livingston/London WTN Award poll closes on 15 June. Your views?

  • eric.britton@ecoplan.org
    May 31 2:54 AM

      Monday, May 31, 2004, Paris, France, Europe

      As a number of you know, we have opened up an ‘international peer support’ panel to gather views on and support of the Mayor of London’s Congestion Charging program, to support our nomination of the mayor for the World Technology Network’s 2004 Environment Prize.  You will find full information on this on the New Mobility Agenda site at http://newmobility.org.

      A quick reminder of what the WTN prize seeks to commend: “The World Technology Awards have been created to honour those  individual leaders or, at times, co-equal teams from across the globe  who most contribute to the advance of emerging technologies of all  sorts  for the benefit of business and society. We especially seek to honour  those innovators who have done work recently which has the greatest  likely future significance and impact over the long-term. The WTN awards are about those individuals whose work today will, in our opinion, create the greatest "ripple effects" in the future... in both expected and unexpected ways."

      Our support for this nomination is a function of our firm conviction that massive innovation in many areas is critical if we are ever to break the Sustainable Mobility gridlock.  And this, like carsharing, clearing all the cars off the streets for one day and a certain number of other less familiar approaches, is one that in my view should be getting a lot more attention.

      I invite you to have a look at the issues and views, and make your voice heard.  Again, the poll closes on this on 15 June, at which time we submit our collective recommendations and observations to the other members of the WTN jury, of which I have the honor to be one.

      Eric Britton