283Kindly read carefully. Thank you

  • eric.britton@ecoplan.org
    Apr 28, 2004
      A quick two part message. Kind thanks for giving it your attention:

      1, New Mobility Café:
      We are presently at the risk of over-running this Discussion Forum–
      WorldTransport@yahoogroups.com – with correspondence and exchanges,
      interesting though these always are – and I do not exaggerate. What
      happens when we lose focus is that we lose members like flies. So I
      would like to remind all here that this particular bit of our tool kit
      is intended as a low-volume, moderated site and mainly for announcements
      and key news for all of the hundreds of busy people who have come
      together here.

      The good news however is that there is a parallel Discussion area, the
      New Mobility Café at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NewMobilityCafe/ --
      and which of course is directly clickable from our main program site at
      http://newmobility.org If you go there you will find the following
      greeting:

      “Welcome to our New Mobility Café -- the wide-open informal
      discussion area of the New Mobility Agenda <http://newmobility.org> . It
      offers a free, public, flexible repository discussion space for people
      and groups who feel that our transport systems need to be, and can be
      made to be, more sustainable and more just -- and who wish to freely
      exchange ideas and information about it. The core of the information and
      tool content behind this discussion area will be found on the main New
      Mobility <http://newmobility.org> program site, which also offers a
      moderated @forum primarily used for announcements and news. By contrast,
      this space here provides a comfortable place for freer and more open
      exchanges for those who wish to participate. Drink up while it's hot.”

      Thus once a topic has come up for discussion and batting around,
      after the first announcement it would be much appreciated if we would
      shift over to the Café to continue our exchanges. To send your
      messages, the address is NewMobilityCafe@yahoogroups.com.
      * Post message: NewMobilityCafe@yahoogroups.com
      * Subscribe: NewMobilityCafe-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

      Hint: You have four choices about mail receipt when you check in.
      (You may also wish to apply them to the main @Forum.)
      * Individual emails. Send individual email messages.
      * Daily digest. Send all emails in one message.
      * Special notices. Only send important update emails from group moderator.
      * No email. Don't send me email, I'll read the messages at the Web site.

      2. News Alert: - First-ever Sustainability Commissioner named in Sydney
      We have been telling you about how handy the New Moblity World News
      section of our site is (once again, you can click to it on the top menu
      and receive the latest news on our topics in no less than six languages).
      Well if you checked it out today, you would have noticed that one of
      our find colleagues has moved right into the middle of the sustainable
      policy arena in Australia. Check out the article “Strategist hired to
      put sense in sprawl” which announces that in Australia Professor Peter
      Newman has just been named to a three-year tenure with the NSW
      Government as the state's first Sustainability Commissioner to help
      drive Sydney's metropolitan strategy. The full article is also at
      http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/04/22/1082616267057.html.

      Congratulations Peter and may we see many more like that. (And be sure
      that we will be keeping a close, interested eye on you and Sydney.)

      Eric Britton

      PS. A few guidelines to keep in mind as you use the Forum:

      * Proof-read your submissions. The time you take is magnified
      300-fold in time savings by readers in trying to understand your points.

      * Don't send very long messages, papers, or binary files to the
      list; rather, post a summary in straight text, offering to send to those
      requesting it the longer or coded document. Such requests should always
      be OFF-LIST (to the personal offering it, not the whole list). Another
      popular alternative is to point people to a website with your material.

      * If you feel yourself getting heated about what another has
      written, consider sending that to only that person, not the entire list.
      This keeps the recipient from feeling as defensive and possibly
      escalating the exchange into a conflagration.

      * When referring to research or statements, try to cite them,
      either a bibliographic or web reference.

      * In a reply, don't include the entire contents of the other's
      message, only the part you are commenting on. If your point is more
      general, consider only restating in summary point the comments of
      another (be careful to be accurate and not self-serving). Also, make
      sure you are replying to the correct party, the whole list (probably
      what your mail program will assume when you hit the "reply" button), or
      to the individual, which will require you to clip the sender's e-mail
      address before hitting "reply" and then pasting it in over the forum’s
      address before starting to compose your reply. Remember, there is no
      feeling so "sinking" as when a personal message goes instead to 300
      people.

      * After joining, don't post for a couple weeks, so that you can
      get a sense of the style of the list. Your first post might contain a
      short (one para.) introduction of yourself, but this is not required
      (when lists first start, introductions are the best way to get things
      started).

      * When passing on something from your word processor, please avoid
      the straight cut-and-paste approach, as you will bring non-standard
      characters and spacing with it, especially lines that are too long.
      Rather, change to courier 12-pitch type and then save it to ASCII format
      (*.txt), closing it, and then using the Notebook editor to bring it onto
      your screen again. Quickly proofread it for format, and then
      cut-and-paste it to your mail-program screen.