1776Re: WorldTransport Forum Request for collaboration on green mobility infrastructure development in selected Nigerian tertiary institution

  • Dave Holladay
    May 18, 2012
      Consider perhaps the universities with the oldest travel management interventions for educational establishments in the world, which in comparatively recent periods of their history, have delivered high levels of cycle use in their host cities. namely Oxford and Cambridge, where travel management interventions have been in force for around 400 years, especially for the student body

      Students have been required to live within walking distance, and prohibited from keeping large vehicles (and animals) within the university quarter, to reduce the demand on land and buildings to store said transport when the transport is not being used.

      The ethos has not waned, and if anything has seen a resurgence, with universities such as Washington State and Cambridge UK closing car parks to provide space for new faculty buildings.

      The inertia to use cycles,or other means of transport has 2 key drivers, the ease with which the mode can be used compared to others and the gains, especially in effective use of time (rather than money).

      Dave Holladay

      On 18/05/12 10:56, eric britton wrote:

      This is a great project Joshua.  Here are my quick reactions, ideas for what they are worth. I will share this on some of our networks, and I am sure that friends out there will pick up on this as well and join the fray.

      1. Give it a great, short and memorable name. (Here's a bad one to get you going: ReBike.)

      2. Create an interactive blog to support the program over, say, the next two years. There are some great forma ts around which you can quickly and well knock off. I and I am sure others will have ideas for you on that.

      3. Invite internationalers working in this area to join in. Maybe you could ask them to be on your board of experts or whatever, to support the project and give it some kind of international weight when you are discussing with local government, the schools, etc.

      4. Keep it a thousand miles away from any one political party (including the Greens).

      5. Reach out to other universities and student groups and ask them for their ideas, experience and eventual leads for your program.

      Now for those friends and colleagues working in this area who have picked up on this, join in and lend a hand. If we wait for world government to do the job, we will have very long beards indeed.

      Off we go,

      Eric Britton