1675Re: WorldTransport Forum FW: [New post] British High Speed Rail? – Or  a better railway for Britain

  • Anzir Boodoo
    Oct 4, 2011
      On 3 Oct 2011, at 23:40, Dave Holladay wrote:

      > Keep this up
      >
      > HS2 is dreadful mistake
      >
      > My take - get parallel routes to W12 for 7-day railway, use GC/GW route (designed & built post 1900 so better for speed & clearances) same distance London Birmingham and offers 4 track route with switchable options of start/end stations and main routes.

      We also have the Chiltern route for an alternative London-Birmingham.

      For those outside British railway circles, W12 is the largest British track loading gauge (which I believe is somewhat similar, though narrower, to UIC B. It will allow the necessary clearances for double deck passenger trains.

      7 day railway means not shutting for maintenance at weekends, which is still common in some areas of the UK. Network Rail have been working towards the 7 day railway, but it's a slow process, and many lines still have no Sunday service, or a very limited Sunday service (although this is also often true for buses, which don't have the same constraints!)

      > Plan to close WCML (2 lines at a time) (LNW) to enlarge to W12, and joggle with GC/GW to keep a 7-day railway for fast trains, Eventual detail should deliver bi-level passenger vehicle clearance on both routes for increased capacity, without train lengthening and weight increase impacts (power supply etc).
      >
      > Huge lengths of Midland Main Line & WCML reduced to 2 tracks could be re fitted with 4 (including several parallel tunnel bores that can be enhanced & switched over to develop full W12 routes

      I'm entirely with you there, Dave, but with the following additions:

      • Rebuild stations at Watford Junction and Milton Keynes Central for passing loops on fast lines
      • Concentrate on routes where rail's share of travel is low (eg Birmingham-Manchester is 6% rail, over 90% car, on one of the most congested motorways in the country)
      • Increase the capacity of non-London main routes (the country is too centralised on London - over 70% of rail journeys begin and/or end in London, when other major cities have very underdeveloped suburban/commuter networks)
      • Develop commuter rail and trolleybus/light rail rapid transit (as appropriate) for other major cities.

      --
      Anzir Boodoo, PhD student
      The Institute for Transport Studies, The University of Leeds, LEEDS LS2 9JT