149RE: [WorldTransport] Polis note on London's congestion charging s cheme

  • Wetzel Dave
    Mar 2, 2003
      To Charlie Lloyd

      Thanks for the info'.

      Just a couple of comments:

      1. All of the net receipts from Congestion Charging will be spent on public
      transport in London ( fares subsidies or services).
      TfL has a separate budget (mainly Govt grants and future toll revenues on
      some river crossings) for the few new road schemes we are involved in.

      2. There are no legal or financial duties that required the Mayor to
      introduce the Congestion Charge Scheme (CCS) - indeed the Conservative
      candidate for next year's Mayoral election has already pledged to repeal Ken
      Livingstone's CCS scheme if elected.

      The GLA Act gave the Mayor permissive powers to introduce CCS and workplace
      parking charges but these powers are not mandatory and the Mayor has not
      introduced workplace parking charges.

      As regards finance - when we include the Underground railway we will have a
      total income budget of £4,500 million so while the £130m net receipts and
      fines from CCS will be useful, it is a small percentage of our total
      budget.

      3. I attach our review of the second week of CCS when most schools were back
      from their half term holidays.

      Dave
      (nb I'm writing this overlooking Loch Ness in Scotland - but no sight of
      "Nessie" - The Loch Ness Monster!)

      Dave Wetzel
      Vice-Chair, Transport for London
      Windsor House. 42-50 Victoria Street.