1286The only good monorail, is an old monorail (maybe).

    Jan 30, 2010

      Dear Ashok and others,

      Thanks for sharing that Times of India article. Glad to see that someone is pointing out one or two of the downsides of this inappropriate project.

      But I am somewhat disappointed that no one on our Sustran list thus far seems to want to step forward and help us enumerate all the reasons why monorails are such a brain dead concept.

      Someone tell me that I am wrong, but among the many flagrant disadvantages/absurdities of the monorail concept for cities, include:

      1.    They cost far too much money given the level of service they provide

      2.    They don't (really) go anywhere (i.e., where they are needed in a many-to-many world)

      3.    Good transportation is supposed to be as close to seamless as we can make it – and they are anything but, cut off from the rest as they are by definition

      4.    Limited capacity (per buck spent)

      5.    They are a visual intrusion (scar) on the city scape

      6.    The ignore, they actually degrade the street in many ways – which is the very heart of the city

      7.    They are, to a pylon, to a track, to a car, to a station, ugly as sin (my old grandmother's expression).

      8.    If they need switches, the space requirement becomes complicated.

      9.    Emergencies are very messy.

      10. They don't do the basic job that is needed.

      11. They saddle the city with debt.

      12. To be "cost effective" (ho ho), they cannot provide affordable service for the majority

      13. They are not sustainable by any measure

      14. They are often the project of industrial-financial-political interest alliances and even, if one digs deep, corruption. (As so often is the case with big ticket transport and other public investments.)

      By the way, did anyone note that almost to the day as Mumbai joyously welcomed their first test car the Las Vegas Monorail Co has filed for bankruptcy?  Just thought I would mention it.

      In summary: They are so awful, so thoroughly dysfunctional that I even have difficulty in anyone trying to justify them (or not) in terms of anything like "relative CO2 efficiency". This I see as a splendid project for a MA of PhD student sharpening their tools, but when it comes to the politics of transportation they defy common sense.

      So out they go.

      (I invite comment and corrections as always).

      Eric Britton

      PS. Ask me what's better, what gives more sustainable transport bang per buck than a monorail?

      From: phaizan@...
      Date: Fri, 29 Jan 2010 19:58:39 +0530

      Please take a look at the forwarded email. The final nail in the coffin of monorail, in maverick Eric Britton style.

      Faizan