      From: Jay Thakkar [mailto:JThakkar@...]
      Sent: Friday, December 04, 2009 8:52 AM
      To: WorldTransport@yahoogroups.com
      Cc: Eric Britton; S.Norton@...; Lee Schipper
      Subject: RE: WorldTransport Forum transport and climate change

      I agree with Lee on this.

      Firstly, Carbon negotiators are doing a job that has more to do with creating a carbon market and supporting the mode-shit towards a sustainable development. They are creating a market, where trading is perhaps easily calculable. Transport sector, even though it vastly contributes to emissions, is very disjoint in nature when it comes to evaluation.

      Secondly, Transportation is a design flaw, and not an operational mistake. It has to be fixed, regardless of the carbon content in our atmosphere. May it be 450 ppm, 350 ppm or even less? Reforming transformation is necessary for the overall societal development, and emissions (especially CO2) reduction is one amongst the many advantages that this reform would bring.

      Thank you.

      Best,

      JT.

      --