117DETOUR'S SUSTAINABLE TRANSPORTATION/URBAN PLANNING BULLETIN - # 3

  • Marty Collier
    Jul 10, 2002
      Greetings,

      I have been asked by the coordinators of the Journal of World Transport Policy & Practice/@World Forum to send you Detour Publications' latest EBulletin. Detour is a non-profit, on-line bookstore that works for sustainability by providing a diverse catalogue of educational and how-to resources focusing on sustainable transportation/new mobility, urban planning and climate change. We would prefer sending this quarterly bulletin to you directly so we invite you to subscribe to it on Detour's Feedback page found at http://www.detourpublications.com/contact.html#feedback

      Thanks very much for your interest and I look forward to hearing from you soon.

      Sincerely,

      Marty Collier
      Manager, Detour Publications

      mcollier@...
      www.detourpublications.com
      Tel: (416) 338-5087
      Fax:(416) 392-0071
      590 Jarvis Street, 4th Floor
      Toronto, Ontario M4Y 2J4
      Canada
      *************************************************************************************************************************

      IN THIS ISSUE:
      1) Summer Reading: New Resources to Transport your Mind to Action
      2) Recommendations Needed for New Labour Market Subject Area
      3) Making Connections Through Partnerships, Links & Events
      4) Quick Reminders

      1) SUMMER READING: NEW RESOURCES TO TRANPORT YOUR MIND TO ACTION

      Summer has arrived! Detour has thirteen new acquisitions to inform and activate you. The majority of these titles are "hot off the press" while some are classics that every organizational and personal library must have! All of Detour's latest additions can be found on our What's New page at http://www.detourpublications.com/new.html.

      Better Not Bigger: How to Take Control of Urban Growth and Improve your Community
      Eben Fodor, 1999
      http://www.detourpublications.com/catalogue/urban.html#bnb

      Ecocities: Building Cities in Balance With Nature
      Richard Register, 2002
      http://www.detourpublications.com/catalogue/urban.html#ebcbwn

      European Transport Policy and Sustainable Mobility
      Edited by J. Akerman, et al ; 2000
      http://www.detourpublications.com/catalogue/urban.html#etpsm

      New Departures: Rethinking Rail Passenger Policy in the 21st Century
      Anthony Perl ; 2002
      http://www.detourpublications.com/catalogue/track.html#ndrrpp

      Our Ecological Footprint: Reducing Human Impact on the Earth
      Mathis Wackernagel & William Rees, 1996
      http://www.detourpublications.com/catalogue/transport.html#oef

      Power: Journeys Across an Energy Nation
      Gordon Laird ; 2002
      http://www.detourpublications.com/catalogue/atmosphere.html#pjaen

      Run Over: A Boy, his Mother and an Accident
      Douglas Bell ; 2001
      http://www.detourpublications.com/catalogue/cars2.html#ro

      Shifting Gears: A Look at Alternative Transportation (Video)
      Peggy Holroyd & Hugh Moloney ; 2001
      http://www.detourpublications.com/catalogue/video.html#sg

      Solving Sprawl: Models of Smart Growth in Communities Across America
      F. Kaid Benfield, Jutka Terris, et al. ; 2001
      http://www.detourpublications.com/catalogue/urban2.html#ss

      The Culture of Nature:
      North American Landscape from Disney to the Exxon Valdez
      Alexander Wilson ; 1998 (2nd Edition)
      http://www.detourpublications.com/catalogue/urban2.html#tcon

      The No-Nonsense Guide to Climate Change
      Dinyar Godrej (Ed.) ; 2001
      http://www.detourpublications.com/catalogue/atmosphere.html#tnngtcc

      The Power Broker: Robert Moses and the Fall of New York
      Robert A. Caro ; 1974
      http://www.detourpublications.com/catalogue/urban3.html#tpb

      The Sustainability Advantage: Seven Business Case Benefits of a Triple Bottom Line
      Bob Willard ; 2002
      http://www.detourpublications.com/catalogue/transport.html#tsa

      Don't forget to check out our growing Links Lounge section, found at http://www.detourpublications.com/links.html, for over 150 links to pertinent on-line resources and organizations.

      2) RECOMMENDATIONS NEEDED FOR NEW LABOUR MARKET SUBJECT AREA

      Detour is planning to add a new subject area to our catalogue that will focus exclusively on the transportation-related labour market. To do so, we are requesting your help! Please email Marty Collier (mcollier@...) by the mid-July if you are aware of any relevant resources (available for purchase or downloadable) that deal with labour market issues that result from such situations as:
      · knowledge, skills and jobs related to sustainable transportation/new mobility
      · transportation industry downsizing
      · transportation industry upsizing, new development and relocation
      · impact of new technologies
      · labour shortages and shortage of job opportunities

      3) MAKING CONNECTIONS THROUGH PARTNERSHIPS & PROMOTIONS

      Detour is always interested in creating connections with organizations and individuals working on sustainability issues. We invite you to help us spread the word by:
      · becoming a cross-promotional partner through our Friends of Detour program (see http://www.detourpublications.com/links/partnership.html for preliminary information)
      · setting up or helping to arrange reciprocal links (see http://www.detourpublications.com/links/linksubmission.html for preliminary information)
      · coordinating Detour attendance and display at Toronto-based events
      · representing Detour as a sales agent

      For further information about these and other opportunities, please contact Marty Collier at mcollier@...

      4) QUICK REMINDERS

      · Remember that by supporting Friends of Detour, you are entitled to 10% discounts on Detour products all year round! See http://www.detourpublications.com/links.html#friends for a list of our current partners.
      · Have you written or read a good book or report that Detour does not have in its catalogue? Let us know the name, author and publisher so we can add it to our expanding list. (For a quick look at our entire inventory, go to http://www.detourpublications.com/catalogue/list.html)
      · Please pass this e-newsletter along to your colleagues. If you received this e-bulletin indirectly through a friend or listserve and would prefer to receive it directly, please subscribe via Detour's Feedback page found at http://www.detourpublications.com/contact.html#feedback
      · For previous Detour EBulletins, please visit http://www.detourpublications.com/bulletin.html

      We love feedback! Please email Marty Collier (atourpublications.com/catalogue/urban2.hmcollier@...) with any suggestions, ideas or comments. In the meantime, have a super summer!

      Detour's Sustainable Transportation Bulletin is emailed to you every three to four months. Detour does not trade mailing lists except with its parent organization, Moving the Economy (MTE) (see http://www.city.toronto.on.ca/mte/). If at any time you would like to opt out of receiving information from Detour and/or MTE, please email info@... and insert "Remove" in the subject line.