113RE: [WorldTransport] Re: TRANSPORT: De-regulation

  • Donald Bain
    Jul 2, 2002

      From: p.withrington [mailto:p.withrington@...]
      Sent: Tuesday, July 02, 2002 11:57 AM
      To: kt.freeman
      Cc: Foe Transport; worldtransport@yahoogroups.com; ecoplan.ads@...
      Subject: [WorldTransport] Re: TRANSPORT: De-regulation

      Rail Privatisation led to an increase of 30% in passenger-km over 6 years.  As to deaths - although there have been a spate of "train accidents" the deaths to rail passengers as a whole are now less per year than before privatisation largely due to the elimination of slam doors.  Additionally over the 25 years prior to privatisation fares rose in real terms by 1% compound per year providing an increase for the period of 28% in real terms.

      Why do people believe that a nationalised rail industry would perform any better.  After all it is the Nationalised industry which pretended at privatisation that track maintenance would now be only £0.9 bn per year only to find it is actually £3 bn per year.

      The only way to hold rail fares down is to subsidise from the tax payer but why should the tax payer do that when passenger rail  uses 2 to 3 times the fuel of competing express buses and imposes casualty costs 3 times higher and when only 1.5% of all journeys go by rail?

      If you would like copy of a paper with the title Railways Myth and Maths which sets all that out, and which is now becoming influential, please request details.

      Meanwhile have we any but anecdotal evidence that bus services are (a) worse than they were or (b) worse than they would have been if they had not been deregulated?

      Regards

      Paul Withrington