      From: John Whitelegg [mailto:ecologic@...]
      Sent: lundi 24 juin 2002 7:32
      To: WorldTransport@yahoogroups.com
      Cc: ecoplan.adsl@...
      Subject: Re: [WorldTransport] Britainand public Transport deregulation

      Dear Colleagues,

      Many thanks to Elaine for this.  I think it emphasises the need for this special issue.  The British experience has produced:

      record levels of unreliability and lack of punctuality
      record levels of passenger complaints
      very high rail fares
      a bankrupt and incompetent Railtrack authority
      more rail passengers
      more rail freight
      5 fatal accidents due to poor track, poor signals and poor quality control
      large tax subsidies to private companies (larger than in the days of British Rail)

      Let's see if we can get a special issue together on this.

      Any offers of papers, suggestions etc to me, please.

      very best wishes

      John Whitelegg
      Editor
      WTPP