Night photography, time lapse of clouds and Epic Stargaze

  • Damian J. Anderson
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 1, 2011
      http://goo.gl/CXtSpNight photography in Montgomery Village, Maryland.

      I experimented with different camera settings to get clear color photos in complete darkness, or with minimal street light.

      The photos were taken between midnight and 2 am this morning, October 1, 2011.

      Photos taken with a Canon EOS Rebel T2i camera on a tripod, with a 2 second timer so as not to touch the camera when the exposure was taking place.

      Camera Model: Canon EOS REBEL T2i
      Canon EF-S 18-55 mm f/3.5-5.6 IS zoom lens
      Color Representation: sRGB
      Metering Mode: Center Weighted Average
      Flash Used: No
      Exposure Compensation: 0 step
      Dimensions: 5184 x 3456 pixels
      Horizontal Resolution: 72 dpi
      Vertical resolution: 72 dpi
      Bit Depth: 24

      Second attempt at making a time lapse video. I set up the camera on a tripod in an east facing bedroom window in the afternoon, controlling the camera remotely by a laptop via a USB cable, to take a photo every 5 seconds. The remote control software is part of the EOS Utilities which come with the camera.

      Photos taken with a Canon EOS Rebel T2i camera:

      Canon EF-S 18-55 mm f/3.5-5.6 IS zoom lens

      Also, here are some more time lapse movies that I discovered. I would like to learn how to shoot star photos.
      I have another one I shot a couple of days ago, which I have not yet processed.

      http://www.terrastro.com/galleries/epic-stargaze/

      Epic Stargaze

      September 5th, 2011

      For the fifth year Astronomical Society of Albury Woodonga organised a spectacular star party – Border Stargaze. This year’s stargaze was exceptional in many ways. The weather was kind and we had an epic run of five clear nights in a row.

      Everyone was busy observing the sky with telescopes small and large at night and I had two cameras clicking away. The result is this three minute (my longest yet!) time lapse animation. There are four galaxies – The Milky Way, Large and Small Magellanic Clouds, Andromeda Galaxy and many many stars. The changing sky colour from natural Oxygen glow in the upper atmosphere is quite startling.

      vimeo.com

      Alex Chenery enjoys photographing two things in nature: the night sky and the ocean. This mesmerizing time-lapse video is a product of a long exposure photograph: http://bit.ly/qIgc2N. Enjoy!
      Ocean Sky

      At a star party in August 2009 I took my first long exposure photograph of the night sky. I was so thrilled with the results that I dedicated most moonless weekends since then to photographing two things I love the most in nature - the night sky and the Ocean.

      Taking a series of images and combining them into a time lapse video sequence made it even more interesting. I have since experimented with all-night time lapses, panning motion, etc. But most importantly I've enjoyed the journey immensely.

      This time lapse video is the result of almost 1.5 years of work, 31 hours of taking images during six nights on Southern Ocean Coast in Australia.

      Ocean Sky was awarded the overall winner prize at STARMUS astrophotography competition:
      starmus.com/​pages/​en/​winners-starmus-astro-photography-competition128.php

      The background music is by Redmann
      toucanmusic.co.uk/​artists/​artist.php?q=Redmann

      Alex Cherney

      terrastro.com

      Damian J. Anderson
      Damian.Anderson@...