Former 'WSJ' Editorial Writer to Head 'Wash Times' Opinion Pages

  • Damian J. Anderson
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 8 8:56 PM

      http://www.editorandpublisher.com/eandp/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1003949197

      http://tinyurl.com/bqrcpd

      Former 'WSJ' Editorial Writer to Head 'Wash Times' Opinion Pages

      By Joe Strupp

      Published: March 08, 2009 6:30 PM ET
      NEW YORK Richard Miniter, an author and former Wall Street Journal editorial writer, has been named editor of the editorial pages and vice president of opinion at The Washington Times, according to a release.

      Miniter will head what are considered among the most conservative editorial pages in a post that had been previously held by the likes of Tony Blankley, former chief of staff to Newt Gingrich, and Tony Snow, who later served as President George W. Bush’s press secretary.

      “Minter, who wrote two New York Times bestselling books, and won awards for investigative reporting at the Sunday Times of London, is a former editorial writer and columnist for the Wall Street Journal Europe and WSJ.com,” the announcement added. “His articles have appeared in The New York Times, Washington Post, Wall Street Journal as well as The Atlantic Monthly, Reader's Digest, National Review and The New Republic. He is a regular commentator on Fox News Channel, MSNBC, CNN, C-Span, and CNBC and many nationally syndicated radio programs.”

      Miniter replaces Deborah Simmons, who had served as editorial page editor since 2007, having replaced Blankley when he departed earlier that year.

      Miniter also takes on the new role of Vice President of Opinion, which “is new, encompassing the editorial page, the op-ed page, and commentary pages. (Since the paper's founding in 1982, Editorial and Commentary pages were managed separately.) The new Vice President of Opinion will also oversee all online opinion, the opinion component of the new Washington Times wire service that distributes to more than 90 newspapers and other new products to be unveiled in the coming months.”

      Washington Times President and Publisher Thomas P. McDevitt stated: “After an extensive nationwide search, we are extremely pleased to find Richard Miniter, a veteran of the Wall Street Journal editorial page and a bestselling author.”

      McDevitt added, "We've been listening to our readers and they tell us they want sharp, fact-based analysis that challenges the conventional wisdom in Washington. Expect us to be more distinctive, contrarian, authoritative and conservative on our opinion pages. The challenges we face in this nation demand the very best opinion, analysis and a forum for solution-oriented debate. Rich Miniter and the team we are assembling at The Times are committed to providing that for our readers every day."

      "Though our two departments operate separately, I'm thrilled to have our opinion pages under the stewardship of such an accomplished journalist as Rich,” Washington Times Executive Editor John Solomon stated. “I know Rich will honor The Washington Times' extraordinary editorial tradition built on the shoulder of giants like Tony Snow and Tony Blankley while transforming our print and online opinion for the 21st century with the same deep reporting and insight he has demonstrated through his career as an editorial writer, reporter and best-selling author.”

      Joe Strupp (jstrupp@...) is a senior editor at E&P.

      --
      Damian J. Anderson
      Damian.Anderson@...