OIC urges Taliban to release Korean hostages
* Taliban kill another hostage, negotiator says release talks have stalled
The Organisation of the Islamic Conference called on Monday for the
"immediate" release of the South Korean hostages captured by the
Taliban in Afghanistan, as a second captive was reported killed.
a statement, the 57-member OIC said "kidnapping and hostage-taking of
innocent civilians are serious crimes against humanity and therefore
run counter to the tenets of Islam and its noble values".
appealed "to those who are holding the hostages to end this un-Islamic
practice," while expressing its "solidarity with the Afghan government
on this unfortunate crisis".
The Taliban militia said it shot
dead a second hostage late Monday after its deadlines expired for the
government to meet their demand. "We set several deadlines and the
Afghan government did not pay attention to our them," spokesman Yousuf
Ahmadi told AFP. "Finally tonight at 8.30pm, we killed one of the
Koreans named Sung Sin with AK-47 gunshots." He said the hostage's body
had been dumped in the Qarabagh district of Ghazni.
Mahmood Gailani, one of the leading members of a government appointed
team negotiating the release of 22 kidnapped South Koreans, told AFP
that, "The negotiations are stuck."
Meanwhile, Al-Jazeera ran
footage of a group of people it said were the South Korean hostages
held by the Taliban. The footage was silent and lasted less than a
minute. It showed Asian-looking women seated with their heads covered
in headscarves and appearing weakened. Also on Monday, Taliban
militants attacked a convoy of logistics materials intended for
international troops in southern Afghanistan and killed 13 Afghan
guards from a private security group, police said.
was on its way from Kabul to a military base in Kandahar when it was
attacked late Sunday, a highway police chief said. "Thirteen guards of
the convoy were killed and eight were wounded," said Ghulam Jailani,
highway police chief for Zabul province where the convoy was ambushed.
He said the material was destined for the US military but this was not
confirmed. He said five militants were also killed and two wounded. The
interior ministry in Kabul confirmed the attack but said 10 men from
the private Afghan security company that had been guarding the convoy
were killed and three wounded.
Japan's main opposition party
said it is against extending Japan's mission in support of US-led
troops in Afghanistan. The Japanese navy has provided fuel for
coalition warships in the Indian Ocean since November 2001 under a
special anti-terrorism law, which has been extended four times, most
recently on May 1. Meanwhile, a four-man Afghan health team went
missing in southern Afghanistan and was feared kidnapped, their
organisation said. The doctor, vaccinator, guard and driver went
missing at midday when they were returning to Kandahar after a mission,
a director of the Afghan Health Development Services said.
director, Abdul Kabir, said he had been told the group was stopped by
gunmen outside the city and were being held captive. He could not say
who might be responsible. The Taliban did not confirm they were