Welcome to Google TiSP

  • Damian J. Anderson
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 1, 2007
      http://www.google.com/tisp/press.html
      Go to Google Home
       Press Center

      About Google

      Press Center

       Resources
       News from Google
       Google Podium
       Media Room
       Awards
       Permissions

       Products & Technology
       Product Descriptions
       Reviewer's Guides

      Related Product Info
       Google Labs
       Software Principles

      Related Corporate Info
       Milestones
       Executive Bios
       Governance
       Privacy Policy

      Investor Relations

      Find on this site:

      Google announces free in-home wireless broadband service

      "Dark porcelain" project offers self-installed plumbing-based Internet access

      MOUNTAIN VIEW, Calif., April 1, 2007 - Google Inc. (NASDAQ: GOOG) today announced the launch of Google TiSP (BETA)™, a free in-home wireless broadband service that delivers online connectivity via users' plumbing systems. The Toilet Internet Service Provider (TiSP) project is a self-installed, ad-supported online service that will be offered entirely free to any consumer with a WiFi-capable PC and a toilet connected to a local municipal sewage system.

      "We've got that whole organizing-the-world's-information thing more or less under control," said Google Co-founder and President Larry Page, a longtime supporter of so-called "dark porcelain" research and development. "What's interesting, though, is how many different modalities there are for actually getting that information to you - not to mention from you."

      For years, data carriers have confronted the "last hundred yards" problem for delivering data from local networks into individual homes. Now Google has successfully devised a "last hundred smelly yards" solution that takes advantage of preexisting plumbing and sewage systems and their related hydraulic data-transmission capabilities. "There's actually a thriving little underground community that's been studying this exact solution for a long time," says Page. "And today our Toilet ISP team is pleased to be leading the way through the sewers, up out of your toilet and - splat - right onto your PC."

      Users who sign up online for the TiSP system will receive a full home self-installation kit, which includes a spindle of fiber-optic cable, a TiSP wireless router, installation CD and setup guide. Home installation is a simple matter of GFlushing™ the fiber-optic cable down to the nearest TiSP Access Node, then plugging the other end into the network port of your Google-provided TiSP wireless router. Within sixty minutes, the Access Node's crack team of Plumbing Hardware Dispatchers (PHDs) should have your internet connection up and running.

      "I couldn't be more excited about, and am only slightly grossed out by, this remarkable new product," said Marissa Mayer, Google's Vice President of Search Products and User Experience. "I firmly believe TiSP will be a breakthrough product, particularly for those users who, like Larry himself, do much of their best thinking in the bathroom."

      Interested consumers, contractually obligated partners and deeply skeptical and quietly competitive backbiters can learn more about TiSP at http://www.google.com/tisp/install.html.

      About Google Inc.
      Google's innovative search technologies connect millions of people around the world with information every day. Founded in 1998 by Stanford Ph.D. wannabes Larry Page and Sergey Brin, Google today is a top web property in all major global markets. Google's targeted advertising program provides businesses of all sizes with measurable results, while enhancing the overall web experience for users. Google is headquartered in Silicon Valley with offices throughout the Americas, Europe and Asia. For more information, visit www.google.com.

      ###

      Media Contact:
      Sunny Gettinger
      Google Inc.
      sunnyg@...
      650-253-4713

      Welcome to Tisp

      Sign up for our free in-home wireless broadband service

      Sick of paying for broadband that you have to, well, pay for?

      Introducing Google TiSP (BETA), our new FREE in-home wireless broadband service. Sign up today and we'll send you your TiSP self-installation kit, which includes setup guide, fiber-optic cable, spindle, wireless router and installation CD.

      Get Started with Google TiSP

      TiSP in-home wireless broadband is:

      • Free, fast and highly reliable

      • Easy to install -- takes just minutes

      • Vacuum-sealed to prevent water damage

      Interested? You can learn more about TiSP via the links below, or get started now.

      Learn More:
      Press Release   How TiSP Works   FAQ

      TiSP: Going with the flow

      TiSP Kit

      Google TiSP (BETA) is a fully functional, end-to-end system that provides in-home wireless access by connecting your commode-based TiSP wireless router to one of thousands of TiSP Access Nodes via fiber-optic cable strung through your local municipal sewage lines.

      Installing TiSP

      Installing a typical home TiSP system is a quick, easy and largely sanitary process -- provided you follow these step-by-step instructions very, very carefully.

      #1   Remove the spindle of fiber-optic cable from your TiSP installation kit.

      #2   Attach the sinker to the loose end of the cable, take one safe step backward and drop this weighted end into your toilet.

      #3   Grasp both ends of the spindle firmly while a friend or loved one flushes, thus activating the patented GFlush™ system, which sends the weighted cable surfing through the plumbing system to one of the thousands of TiSP Access Nodes.

      #4   When the GFlush is complete, the spindle will (or at least should) have largely unraveled, exposing a connector at the remaining end. Detach the cable from the spindle, taking care not to allow the cable to slip into the toilet.

      #5   Plug the fiber-optic cable into your TiSP wireless router, which has a specially designed counterweight to withstand the centripetal force of flushing.

      #6   Insert the TiSP installation CD and run the setup utility to install the Google Toolbar (required) and the rest of the TiSP software, which will automatically configure your computer's network settings.

      #7   Within sixty minutes -- assuming proper data flow -- the other end of your fiber-optic cable should have reached the nearest TiSP Access Node, where our Plumbing Hardware Dispatchers (PHDs) will remove the sinker and plug the line into our global data networking system.

      #8   Congratulations, you're online! (Please wash your hands before surfing.)

      Note: If you have any difficulty installing, operating or simply living with TiSP, we suggest joining the TiSP Help Group.

      Advanced TiSP Options

      Professional Installation Service
      You can also choose to request our professional installation service, which dispatches an army of factory-trained, sub-contracted nanobots from the TiSP Access Node. The nanobots travel with exhilarating nano-speed through the sewer system and into your home to perform the installation service, which should be complete within 15 minutes. Note: For your own physical safety and emotional well-being and in consideration of the nanobots' working conditions, please make absolutely certain that your toilet is unoccupied at the scheduled appointment time.

      In-Commode Package Delivery
      With professional installation service, you can also have your Google Checkout purchases delivered directly through the sewage network into your bathroom. Each package comes pre-sealed in a watertight and nanobot-resistant bag made of biodegradable corn-based plastic. For a limited time, TiSP subscribers who sign up for a Checkout account will receive free bathroom delivery on their first ten Checkout purchases.

      TiSP for Enterprise
      We're actively developing a higher-performance version of TiSP specifically tailored to small and medium-sized businesses, including 24-hour, on-site technical support in the event of backup problems, brownouts and data wipes.

      Learn more about TiSP: Frequently Asked Questions

      Frequently Asked Questions

      Why should I switch to Google TiSP?

      • It's fast. In our testing, TiSP delivers a 10x higher flow rate than basic DSL.

      • It's FREE. No more paying hundreds of dollars a year for Internet service that doesn't even necessarily extend to your bathroom!

      • It's good for you. Your FREE TiSP service includes a Google Toolbar-based analysis of your dietary habits and genetic predispositions, along with recommendations for healthier living.

      How can Google offer this service for free?
      We believe that all users deserve free, fast and sanitary online access. To offset the cost of providing the TiSP service, we use information gathered by discreet DNA sequencing of your personal bodily output to display online ads that are contextually relevant to your culinary preferences, current health status and likelihood of developing particular medical conditions going forward. Google also offers premium levels of service for a monthly fee (see below).
      Note: We take your privacy very seriously. So we treat all TiSP users' waste-related personal information with tremendous discretion, in accordance with our Privacy Policy.

      Is this offering a tiered service? How does Google's position on Net Neutrality effect TiSP?
      Although we understand that there's a lot of crap on the web, we also believe strongly in providing equal opportunity access to all our users. While we won't limit your surfing choices, we do offer three levels of TiSP service:

      TrickleThe #2Royal Flush

      Download speed (max)

      8 Mbps
      (10X basic DSL)

      16 Mbps
      (20X basic DSL)

      32 Mbps
      (40X basic DSL)

      Upload speed (max)

      2 Mbps

      4 Mbps

      8 Mbps

      Price

      Free

      $9.95/mo.

      $24.95/mo.

       Actual speeds will vary, depending on network traffic and sewer line conditions. Users with low-flow toilets may simultaneously experience a saving-the-environment glow and slower-data-speed blues.

      Is Google TiSP safe and reliable?
      Google TiSP ensures reliable throughput through the power of fiber, which has been proven through extensive research to effectively facilitate consistent data flow with minimal latency. And you can rest assured that under no circumstances will the TiSP system ever expose your privates.

      What are the system requirements?

      • Windows XP/Vista (Mac and Linux support coming soon)

      • Internet Explorer 6.0+ or Firefox 1.5+ with the Google Toolbar

      • Round-front or elongated toilet providing at least 1.0 gallons per flush

      • Use of automatic toilet bowl cleaners is not recommended

      Does my water company support TiSP?
      TiSP was developed with the support and assistance of a large number of major metropolitan water companies. A full list of companies that support TiSP is available here. If yours isn't listed, please contact them to verify their ongoing and unstinting support before you even think about signing up for TiSP service.

      Can I use TiSP if my home uses a septic system?
      Sorry, but no -- TiSP requires the use of a central sewer system to connect your home to the Internet.

      Can I still use my toilet after installing TiSP?
      Do we look stupid? Needless to say, the fiber optic cable that enables TiSP will not interfere with your toilet's regular operations. For your own convenience, however, you may eventually wish to hire a professional contractor to help route the cable under, or through, the toilet seat to your TiSP wireless router.

      In what countries is this service available?
      TiSP is available today in the U.S. and Canada. Google has formed an international consortium of utility companies, sewage system experts, toilet manufacturers, and plumbers to develop solutions to the many problems facing all "dark porcelain"-based data-delivery innovators.

      Can I use this service when I'm away from home?
      Sorry, but no -- TiSP is not available outside the home at this time. We are, however, currently developing a mobile feature called TiSP on the Run (TiSPOTR), which we expect to make available in the near future.

      I'm having trouble installing or using TiSP.
      Your internet connection should be working within one hour of GFlushing the sinker. If you still aren't online after that period of time, your toilet may be clogged. Please flush three more times, then check your online connection again. If you're still experiencing problems, drop eight mints into the bowl and add a two-liter bottle of diet soda. For further assistance, please visit the TiSP Help Group.

      Does my net access have to be wireless?
      Not necessarily, but our user studies have found that without wireless connectivity, there was considerable "commode congestion" in an average 2.5-person household whose one bathroom typically can provide a comfortable workspace for just one user at a time. We therefore strongly recommend using the wireless connection to alleviate potential multi-user congestion and encourage widespread "couch computing."

      Why is TiSP in beta?
      When things go wrong with TiSP, they go very, very wrong. Let's leave it at that.

      Google TiSP
      Group info
      Members: 4340
      Activity: Low activity
      Language: English
      Group categories: Not categorized
      More group info »

      Discussions9 of 2813 messages view all »

      flag Wow, the package delivery is awesome!
      By Syphron - 5:36pm - 88 authors - 96 replies

      I think your April fool joke is atrocious
      By Jay.Englund - 6:07pm - 14 authors - 15 replies

      I installed TiSP, but got the MRSA virus!!!
      By tispster - 6:07pm - 2 authors - 1 reply

      I live in the country, what? how?
      By Commodeo - 6:07pm - 3 authors - 2 replies

      TiSP potential issue
      By MR - 6:06pm - 1 author - 0 replies

      URGENT!
      By Simon Smith - 6:06pm - 1 author - 1 reply

      Australia Compatible
      By PJ - 6:06pm - 1 author - 0 replies

      http://www.GoogleTiSP.com -Download TiSP Software Updates
      By wewew - 6:05pm - 1 author - 0 replies

      Had to remove it from our workplace shortly after install
      By Commodeo - 6:05pm - 2 authors - 1 reply

      XML       Send email to this group: google-tisp@...
      http://www.google.com/tisp/notfound.html
      Goo gle
      Error

      Not Found

      The requested URL was not found on this server. There are so many reasons that this might have happened we can scarcely bring ourselves to type them all out. You might have typed the URL incorrectly, for instance. Or (less likely but certainly plausible) we might have coded the URL incorrectly. Or (far less plausible, but theoretically possible, depending on which ill-defined Grand Unifying Theory of physics one subscribes to), some random fluctuation in the space-time continuum might have produced a shatteringly brief but nonetheless real electromagnetic discombobulation which caused this error page to appear. Or (and truth be told, this is by far the most likely scenario) you might have reached a page that we meant to create but didn't get around to it, since this year's April Fool's joke got hacked together at the last minute, more or less the same way this one did. And this one. And this one, and this one, and this one...

      --
      Damian J. Anderson
      Damian.Anderson@...

      PO Box 6488
      Silver Spring, MD 20916, USA
      +1-301-921-0082

      "You do not lead by hitting people over the head - that's assault, not leadership." - Dwight D. Eisenhower