World Science: "Liberal gene" identified
- View Source
* "Liberal gene" identified:
People with a specific gene variant tend to
develop into liberals if they also have many
friends as teenagers, a study suggests.
* Scientists work on sun-charged "heat battery":
A new type of rechargeable battery would store heat
absorbed from the sun instead of electrical charge.
* Daily vibration may help protect aging bones:
Whole-body vibration may reduce the bone density
loss that occurs with age, researchers report based
on studies with mice and with older women.
* Peace of mind may close health gap for
Good psychological health may erase the bad
long-term health effects of low socioeconomic
status, research suggests.
* Obese kids said to show sign of "middle-
age" heart disease:
Obese children have stiff blood vessels typical of
much older adults with cardiovascular disease,
according to a study.
* Storied "monster" is just a furry victim of mites:
As Halloween approaches, tales of monsters and
creepy crawlies abound. Among the more insidious is
the legendary chupacabras.
* Astronomers peer into primordial cosmic "fog":
Scientists say they have confirmed the discovery of
the furthest galaxy known.
* Forecast: global warming may bring giant
The United States and many other populous lands face
a growing threat of long, harsh drought in the next
30 years, a study indicates.
* Would you sleep on a chunk of ice? Building
your "experience résumé":
Some people can't resist a chance to collect
experiences, a study suggests.
* T. rex was a cannibal, scientists report:
The fearsome "king" of the dinosaurs ate not just
other dinosaurs but also its own kind,
Invite friends to join World Science for free!
Just click here to open an invitation email that you can
send your friend or colleagues. Feel free to change the
text of the invitation (although you might want to leave
the subscription instructions unchanged.)