World Science: Pre-'Lucy' fossils reveal secrets of human past

  • World Science
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 1, 2009

      * Pre-"Lucy" fossils reveal secrets:
      The last common ancestor of chimps and humans was
      probably not as chimp-like as widely believed,
      researchers report.

      http://www.world-science.net/othernews/091001_ardipethicus

      * Hyenas cooperate better than chimps, study
      finds
      :
      The much-maligned, dog-like creatures may beat out
      our ape relatives in cooperative problem-solving tests.

      http://www.world-science.net/othernews/090930_hyenas

      * Moon may have water:
      Our moon is potentially not quite as dry as it is
      traditionally thought to be, researchers say.

      http://www.world-science.net/othernews/090924_water

      * Exotic life forms: looking for life as we don't
      know it
      :
      A new research group is devoted to finding out how
      life might evolve using chemicals not found in
      Earth-based life forms.
      http://www.world-science.net/othernews/090922_lifeforms.htm

      * Rough day at work? You might not feel like
      exercising
      :
      If you use your willpower to do one task, it may
      deplete your willpower for a totally different task,
      scientists say.

      http://www.world-science.net/othernews/090929_willpower

      * Key to subliminal messaging: keep it
      negative, study suggests
      :
      Subliminal messaging is most effective when the
      message being conveyed is negative, according to new
      research.

      http://www.world-science.net/othernews/090928_subliminal

      * Torture may produce unreliable information:
      Extreme stress appears to warp memories while
      motivating suspects to say anything to stop the
      torture, new research claims.

      http://www.world-science.net/othernews/090921_torture

      * Lower IQ's measured in spanked children:
      Only part of the effect is due to spanking itself,
      but still, laws should be passed against spanking,
      some researchers say.

      http://www.world-science.net/othernews/090924_spanking