World Science: 'Language gene' alters mouse squeaks

  • World Science
    Message 1 of 1 , May 28, 2009

      * "Language gene" alters mouse squeaks:
      Mice carrying a "humanized" gene can't talk, but
      might tell us something about our evolutionary

      * Technique would detect watery worlds:
      An Earth-like planet would appear in telescopes as
      little more than a "pale blue dot." What could we
      make of that?

      * No enforcement, no trade -- not for chimps:
      Scientists have managed to teach chimps to trade a
      primitive "currency." But the creatures never quite
      ran with the idea.

      * Green tea extract reported to show
      promise against leukemia
      Scientists are reporting positive results in early
      clinical trials using a substance in green tea.

      * "Swine Flu" was circulating undetected,
      researchers say
      All segments of the virus originated in avian hosts
      and began circulating in pigs at various times in
      the 1900s, according to investigators.

      * Earliest cells might have thrived amid
      asteroid pummeling
      The so-called Late Heavy Bombardment wasn't
      necessarily the end of the world for ancient
      microbes, scientists say.

      * "Missing link" ancestor reported found:
      A 47-million-year-old fossil connects humans, apes
      and monkeys to other mammals, researchers

      Invite friends to join World Science for free!
      Just click here to open an invitation email that you can
      send your friend or colleagues. Feel free to change the
      text of the invitation (although you might want to leave
      the subscription instructions unchanged.)