World Science: Scientists recreate 'hydra' of myth, in miniature
- View Source* Scientists recreate "Hydra" of myth, in miniature:
In the ancient Greek tale, the hero Hercules kills a
many-headed monster that could regrow its heads.
* Dark matter doubters not silenced yet:
Growing "proof" that an unseen, exotic substance
pervades space still hasn't won over a core of skeptics.
* Brain stimulation "awakens" near-unconscious
A new brain stimulation treatment awakened a patient
from a near-vegetative state, researchers report.
* Orangutan communication resembles "charades":
Captive orangutans use gestures not unlike humans do
in the parlor game, researchers say.
* Ancestor of the "living fossil" sheds new light:
Zoologists called it the find of the century in
1938: a fish thought to have been extinct since
dinosaurs roamed. A new discovery may help complete
* Blacks who kill whites likeliest to be executed,
Bias in the U.S. justice system continues even after
sentencing, a sociologist says.
* Sabotage, Drinking Reports Shake NASA:
America's space agency was shaken by two startling
and unrelated reports.
* Pot could boost psychosis risk later in life,
Evidence points to a link between marijuana use and
eventual loss of contact with reality, scientists say.
Invite friends to join World Science for free!
Just click here to open an invitation email that you can
send your friend or colleagues. Feel free to change the
text of the invitation (although you might want to leave
the subscription instructions unchanged.)