On the New York Citi Bike PBS project delay: From Paul Steely White, Transporatoin Alternatives.

  • eric britton
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 19, 2012
      Facebook

      Subject: [World City Bike Forum] From Paul Steely White, Transporation Alternatives.

      From Paul Steely White, Transporatin...

      Eric Britton

      7:26pm Aug 19

      From Paul Steely White, Transporation Alternatives.

      On the New York Citi Bike PBS project delay:

      We want it done right, not rushed.

      Today, Mayor Bloomberg announced the launch of Citi Bike, New York City’s public bike share system, will be delayed until 2013. Like the millions of New Yorkers who can’t wait to try bike share, we’re disappointed. But Citi Bike shouldn't launch until it's ready.

      It took decades of T.A. advocacy to bring a public bike share system to New York City. Our mission -- to revitalize New York City’s streets -- is a marathon, not a sprint. Citi Bike’s launch isn’t the finish line.

      In our neighborhoods, we’re already ambassadors for bicycling. Let's keep it up! Here’s how we can talk to our friends and neighbors about Citi Bike’s delays:
      • Citi Bike was postponed due to technical problems with the system’s software, not the scale of New York City’s streets. Citi Bike would be just as delayed in Duluth.
      • Every time Quinnipiac University polls New Yorkers about bike share, like they did in 2011 and again this May, a sweeping majority of New Yorkers support the system coming to NYC. Fourteen community boards and the entire New York City Council endorsed Citi Bike too.
      • When Citi Bike launches, it’ll be the largest bike share system in the Western Hemisphere. For New Yorkers, it’s a brand-new, full-scale public transit system -- the first since the subway debuted more than 100 years ago. That’s too big a moment to rush.
      Citi Bike is scheduled to launch in March 2013. T.A. will keep an eye on things until the ribbon’s cut. We are your advocate at City Hall. And at every opportunity, we’ll keep you up-to-date on Citi Bike’s rollout.

      Patiently Waiting,

      Paul Steely White
      Executive Director
      Transportation Alternatives

      View Post on Facebook · Edit Email Settings · Reply to this email to add a comment.