Second bike-sharing scheme launches in London

  • ianperry_environmental
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 8, 2010
      In a nation where owning products to perform and occasional service has been the norm, the UK is suddenly realising the benefits of services and sharing. A new, and perhaps a world first of its type, bicycle sharing scheme of has just started in London.

      I am not referring to the Boris Bikes, sponsored by Barclays, which will be like other bike-sharing schemes around the world, once the teething problems have been sorted out... but a second scheme in London called Byke.

      http://byke.mobi/ is a website, designed to be accessed mainly via a mobile phone that allows those in London with a spare bicycle to rent it out to fellow members of the scheme.

      As a full day's hire from the Barclays Cycle Hire Scheme costs £51, making hiring a bicycle through Byke at £3.50 a day, with bicycles situated throughout the British capital, rather attractive. The rental fee is split between the owner of the site and the bicycle owner and a deposit of £100 is taken before the bicycle is rented out.

      Meanwhile, the Barclays sponsored scheme has, in the second half of its first week, increased bike use to 1.5 hires per bike a day – which would have been higher had it been possible to become a casual daily member as in Paris and elsewhere. TfL and Bixi are working on this and other problems...

      Ian Perry
    • benoit.beroud
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 9, 2010
        Ian,

        Many thanks  for sharing this interesting approach. Hence, the service provided, terms of use and cost are rather far.

        Even if, as all services, there are some limits, this complementary service could be successful and useful. It is great to see new sharing developments.  Another difference with other rental service is that anyone can also earn money. Might particulars would develop additional wages by buying a bicycle only to rent it and get some profit, if it is worthy, and if it is legal.

        Benoit Beroud, Mobiped,
        www.mobiped.com/accueil_mobiped_en.html