Re: [WorldCitizen] World economy

  • Jacek Deptula
    Message 1 of 21 , Apr 3, 2013
      Dear All

      Many thanks for your input regarding this issue.  I quite agree with Colin, the culture of consumerism is not sustainable and therefore not desirable. Having said that, consumerism is one of the main driving forces for economic growth which is widely seen as the condition sine qua non for prosperity.  On the other hand endless economic growth is one of the main reasons for suicidal environment degradation and non-sustainability. In my view one of the main challenges of the future World Government will be to gradually drive away from the dogma of constant economic growth and explore the possibilities of steady-state economy such as proposed by Herman Daly, Tim Jackson and others. This will be no easy process since never put in practice in the past but it seems however the only way forward.

      Second important aspect of future World Economy will be diverting money from non-productive financial speculation channels, sequestrating vast sums and re-directing it towards productive and useful real economy providing jobs and benefiting communities. This move however implies tight, global financial regulations, and reforming world banking and monetary policy.  Trans-national corporations have well recognized detrimental effects on local economies across the world, I would expect World Government to set a frame for their activities.

      A single currency for the World would probably make common economy healthier and stop speculations on exchange rate.  This was already proposed by John Maynard Keynes in early 40s but was opposed by the US who wanted their currency to dominate the world trade.

      Putting in place successful economies in developing countries particularly in Africa implies effective tackling of corruption which blocks any attempt of improving things. Current economic disaster in a lot of African countries is a direct consequence of anarchy of nation-states system at international level with corrupt local politicians backed by Western or Chinese powers depriving their citizens and countries of any possibility of economic development. There is a very important role here for future World Government to end this rampant corruption.  Similarly unfair subsidies for Western agricultural products driving food prices down and outcompeting developing countries agricultures should be stopped as soon as possible

      Many thanks for contributing to this reflection
      Best regards
      Jacek Deptula

      On Mar 30, 2013, at 11:39 PM, Colin Wyndham wrote:

      To whom it may concern,

      The major problem with the world economy is that countries are focused on consumerism.

      The problem is that governments/countries are only concerned with GDP. Which in my experience means nothing in regards to LIFE on planet earth. Consumerism and corporations are destroying the planet in hopes of increasing GDP.

      Therefore there is no sense in believing that consumerism can become sustainable. In saying this; Sustainability has no requirement for GDP. Sustainability is directly correlated to LIFE.

      The world economy will collapse as consumerism is not sustainable this include USA and Canada. Countries need to become independently sustainable first and trade only with other countries that are also sustainable. STOP multinational corporations from foreign investment and stop international corporations from destroying our lives and health through genetically modifying foods and feeding its people like pigs. Time for people and leaders to take back independence and give back to earth.

      LIFE is important and that's what makes this world SURVIVE.

      Cordially,

      Colin W. Wyndham, B.Sc
      108 - 4301B South Park Drive
      Suite#336
      Stony Plain, AB
      CANADA T7Z 2A9
      colin.wyndham@...
      001-780-906-5743 Mobile
      001-780-963-9842 FAX

      ***PRIVILEGE AND CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE ***
      This communication and any attachment is confidential and may be subject to solicitor-client privilege and/or be exempt from disclosure under privacy laws. There is no intention to waive privilege. It should only be read by the person to whom it is addressed. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us by reply and delete the communication. There is a risk of data error and transmission of viruses with electronic communication. Please take appropriate precautions.

      Message 2 of 21 , Apr 8, 2013

        I think your final point is an important one that has not often been discussed by people in the world unity movement. Corruption among government bureaucracies is an issue which any world government, whatever its form, will need to address. I’m not sure that it is a problem that anyone can actually ‘solve’, human nature being what it is, but certainly steps can be taken to reduce it and mitigate its economic and social impacts.

        http://uwcdwg.tripod.com/

        --
        http://www.esperanto.net http://www.moneyasdebt.net

        Jacek Deptula

        12 rue du Chateau Gaillard

        27700 Bernières sur Seine

        FRANCE

        Tel: +33 608 246 344

      • jamie boyle
        Message 3 of 21 , Apr 15, 2013
          hello,
          i wish to find out how to obtain another country citizenship , i am married to a filipino from philippines also, lm australian wanting to get out of australia,
          thx jamie.

          Message 4 of 21 , Apr 15, 2013
            hi i dont much about your world unity service but throughout history of humans, things can change only through MASS of power of people demanding what is to be, and to change what is,
            the gathering of everyone in every country is a solution, only through the media tv where everyone can be heard and seen is the place to do this, if the governments dont stop the media,
            everyone on this planet does not like how the world is in society except the richer amount of peoople, but saying that relationships are a problem with them also,
            lm positive that in a mass protest in every country of the world , to enact a world king to pass the power on to reshape the rich countries and help the poor countries and even the world out, so every human is really equal to eachother, and have equal opportunities in this life.
            can humans do this before god i wonder ?
            remember hitler changed the world in a bad way, and the son of bin laden also, bad examples of what not to do, theright  is to do it through peaceful events of pressure and demandment of change and to dissolve the governments of the world , so there can be only one king being over checked of what to do on the planet.
            possibly a law from the past to control the earth where there is no mistakes, and the work is done with pleasure and not who cares work.
            also i give u thoughts about throw the currency away and the tax system. we work for our lifes only and not for a government or rich companies.
            lm just a man with alot of time and many thoughts always, with no power to do very little.
            its a really unfair world and treacherous really in everyway, after i left the regular army and was assigned to international intelligence i noticed what the world really is, its all a big lie to the people and its money, communications, drugs, listening satellites and spies.
            the citizens of all countries are being bluffed and put aside to international money exchanges between governments for goods.
            agreements are made to fulfill a country working power, while its a jobless and job fading country here, as they know they make more dollars this way.
            when a country doesnt have its first concern for its citizens, then u know its about the money.
            the unemployment benefit money is another bluff to keep people happy !
            some of the foods we eat are designed to kill us of slowly also with cancer and heart disease as they know the younger adults are more of an asset to a country.
            thx 4 reading
            jamie...... hope my info opens ur mind to what is really going on in secret areas .

            i wish to find out how to obtain another country citizenship , i am married to a filipino from philippines also, lm australian wanting to get out of australia,
            thx jamie.

            > I think we should on the practice of sustaining our self..without
            > putting money in their pocket by doing the unnecesaries..

            I'm all for more localised production of food and other things, but I
            wouldn't like to have to live entirely without coffee, chocolate,
            internet, bananas...

            groetjes, Ronaldo

            --
            http://www.esperanto.net http://www.moneyasdebt.net

            Jacek Deptula
            12 rue du Chateau Gaillard
            27700 Bernières sur Seine
            FRANCE
            Tel: +33 608 246 344

          • Andres Espino
            Message 5 of 21 , Apr 16, 2013
              This forum is really about giving up national citizenship in favor of being a citizen of the world.  Founder Garry Davis started this movement by doing this himself.

              Now most of us in here are still citizens of some country and have declared ourselves to be citizens of the world in addition to that without giving up our national citizenship *;) winking

              We want to draw attention to the need to move forward into a global community instead of small nations bickering with one another.

              There really isnt much information in this group about becoming a citizen of some other country.

              Andres
              (the Other Andrew)

              i wish to find out how to obtain another country citizenship , i am married to a filipino from philippines also, lm australian wanting to get out of australia,
              thx jamie.

              > I think we should on the practice of sustaining our self..without
              > putting money in their pocket by doing the unnecesaries..

              I'm all for more localised production of food and other things, but I
              wouldn't like to have to live entirely without coffee, chocolate,
              internet, bananas...

              groetjes, Ronaldo

              --
              http://www.esperanto.net http://www.moneyasdebt.net

              Jacek Deptula
              12 rue du Chateau Gaillard
              27700 Bernières sur Seine
              FRANCE
              Tel: +33 608 246 344

            • wayne everett
              Message 6 of 21 , Apr 16, 2013
                go to Bougainville Island

                i wish to find out how to obtain another country citizenship , i am married to a filipino from philippines also, lm australian wanting to get out of australia,
                thx jamie.

                > I think we should on the practice of sustaining our self..without
                > putting money in their pocket by doing the unnecesaries..

                I'm all for more localised production of food and other things, but I
                wouldn't like to have to live entirely without coffee, chocolate,
                internet, bananas...

                groetjes, Ronaldo

                --
                http://www.esperanto.net http://www.moneyasdebt.net

                Jacek Deptula
                12 rue du Chateau Gaillard
                27700 Bernières sur Seine
                FRANCE
                Tel: +33 608 246 344

              • YOMBE Kouassi
                Message 7 of 21 , Apr 17, 2013
                  Hello,

                  which country do you want to live?thank you.
                • Gary Kevin Shepherd
                  Message 8 of 21 , Apr 19, 2013

                    I very much agree with you that real, lasting changes have to be made in a peaceful, non-violent way, as Gandhi taught us. Anything created through the use of violence can be destroyed by violence just as easily.  I believe one major problem is not so much that people are opposed to changing the status quo, as that they are convinced that change is not possible. Our media, educational systems, religious institutions, and in fact all of our social institutions, have collaborated in convincing us that a world of independent, competing nation-states is the only possible world, and that all talk of world unity and a human commonwealth is just utopian nonsense. This is, of course, a self-fulfilling prophesy, because if no one thinks unity is possible then no one will work to accomplish it, and if no one works to accomplish it, then it IS impossible. Breaking through that cycle is our task and it is a difficult one indeed.

                    I also agree that the ordinary people of the world have been manipulated by those with power and wealth in the current system, for their own benefit. I don’t really regard this as a ‘conspiracy’ in the usual sense of the word. I just think it’s the way socio-economic elites normally act, if there are no restraints upon their actions. Power corrupts, as they say, and people with power will do just about anything to keep it.

                    I do disagree however, with the idea of a ‘world king’; I think that to have a single person in charge of everything would be a bad idea. Rather, I have a vision of a Republic of Earth, with popularly-elected public officials whose authority was very specifically limited by a system of checks and balances.  People with far greater intelligence than I have sat down and designed various ways in which such a republic would be constituted.  I urge you to examine some of them. One example is the Constitution for the Federation of Earth, which is available on the internet, I understand.