Re: [WorldCitizen] Views on England and the English

  • Andres Espino
    Message 1 of 7 , May 29, 2008
      Okay George,   let me add that sometimes people want to go where things are familiar too.  Latin people in the US usually seek other latin countries.  many in North America choose Canada, Austrailia, New Zealand and UK because of English common law and the culture and food is similar to home.  French people tend to gravitate to former french colonies and Canada.

      I am seeking nationality in an African country, but prefer English Speaking and English legal and educational system, because I already understand that.  I think when it comes to setteling in nations, people crave what is familiar.

      Regards,

      Andrew

      george tzindaro <tzindaro@...> wrote:
      I once met a Morocan who had been living in the Netherlands for five years and had not learned Dutch. He told me he had no need to "Because everyone here speaks French".

      If the prevailence of English is the reason people select the place to emigrate to, why do Germany, Holland, Italy, Scandinavia, and so many other countries get so many immigrants? Even Finland gets a lot of them, and their language is much harder to learn than most others and not spoken anywhere else. And the climate there is worse than in England.
      I think most of the people who choose to move to England do so because they have friends or relatives there or can find a community of people from their homelands there. Also, many of them do not really want to go live in a strange country, but are forced to because of repressive governments at home.

      Message 2 of 7 , May 29, 2008
        Que bueno Mike!

        Dame uno cervesa por favor!"  Isn't that enough for everyone?

        oh and "donde esta el bano"  good after that!

        Look the important thing is to try.  It all gets easier after that

        Andrew

        Mike Jansen <onquestmarketing@...> wrote:

        Gasp! you mean that maybe all us arrogant americans
        and englishmen would have to learn a second language?
        We would have to be multilingual like most of the
        world? Oh say it isnt so? All the ostriches with their
        head in the sand would have to join the rest of the
        world instead of having our own way? ohhhhh! the
        scandal, the uproar... the the the..open mindedness!
        No we cant have that.

        I am in support of required second language in
        all american/english schools. Here in america that
        would mostly mean learning spanish as we will be
        outnumbered by spanish speakers soon. I know enough
        spanish to survive if necessary.. i can ask for food
        and beer .. the rest can come later :).

        Mike Jansen

        12a.
        Re: Views on England and the English
        Posted by: "ro-esp" ro-esp@... ro_esp2
        Wed May 28, 2008 10:21 pm (PDT)

        Message 3 of 7 , May 31, 2008
          >I once met a Moroccan who had been living in the Netherlands for five
          > years and had not learned Dutch. He told me he had no need to

          he probably wasn't lying

          >"Because everyone here speaks French".

          probably 10 or 20 %, but that's enough, right?

          Laws have become tougher in the meantime, and education of
          german and french less

          > If the prevailence of English is the reason people select the
          > place to emigrate to,

          I didn't say it was the only reason, nor was I talking about immigrants
          only

          > why do Germany, Holland,

          Netherlands (I insist)

          > Italy, Scandinavia, and so many other countries get so many
          > immigrants? Even Finland gets a lot of them, and their language is
          > much harder to learn than most others and not spoken anywhere else.
          > And the climate there is worse than in England.

          economical, political, religious, legal, geographic reasons

          > I think most of the people who choose to move to England do so
          > because they have friends or relatives there

          quite possible

          > or can find a community of people from their homelands there.

          justified punishment for colonialism ;-)

          > Also, many of them do not really want to go live in a strange country,

          no doubt

          > but are forced to because of repressive governments at home.

          or because of poverty caused by corporations and banks etc
          who suck the money out of their country of origin...
          (I plan on commenting equal playing field in another thread)

          Still, if I had to try my luck in a far away land, I'd first try one of
          which I know the language. And if my government would have
          made english the only foreign language I got in school .....

          groetjes, Ronaldo