Re:(Worldcitizen) Yugoslavia

  • Mihajlo Acimovic
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 2, 1999
      Hi

      My name is Mihajlo Acimovic. 19yrs old, from Belgrade, Yugoslavia. I don't get the time to read all Worldcitizen postings. Do you know of Marko Ajdaric, <marko@...> ? He is a cyberactivist in Brazil. He might be helpful with info on Yugoslavia.
      I can't agree that the US bombing has transformed Milosevic into a national hero. Not even the U$ government can do that for him, ever again, in Yugoslavia at least. I have a lot of information on the current situation in Yugoslavia. Two latest news I have:

      1. Participants of the Alliance For Change demos were beaten and dispersed by the police on Wednesday and Thursday and I don't know about since then. Police has used an unprecedented level of brutality, especially against young people (as usual). Among the arrested were some top figures of the Socijaldemokratija political party :)))) (one good deed of the police) and the last I heard from a friend, they had surrounded Cedomir Jovanovic in the Democratic Party offices and were trying to arrest him. He is remembered as being one of the leaders of the Student Protest of 1996/97 and selling his rethorical capabilities to the Democratic Party, he is now a member of.

      2. Last week, students of the St. Sava (state owned) highschool in Belgrade were on strike. They made protest walks, making noise and blocking traffic.
      They were forbidden to have an excursion abroad and on top of that, the school (director and teachers) tried to introduce studentship fees, so the students would have to pay as much money as if they were going to a private highschool. Education in Yugoslavia is officially free. The new studentship fees were so high that only children of the new burgeoisie could afford them. The last I heard, the school board capitulated about the studentship fees, to achieve a normalisation of classes.