Re: Lectionary of World Unity Readings

  • Darrell King
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 1, 1999
      Sometimes it still amazes me that "impossible" changes so much. My parents
      used to comment on the "miracles of progress" 30 years ago. It (World
      Unity/Cooperation/Peace) only seems possible to me today because of the
      Internet. Perhaps we should pursue the communication issue and help get the
      whole world wired..??

      Darrell

      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 1, 1999
        Hi.
        Your suggestion does have merit, although I doubt that I personally would
        be the one to do it, since I'm such a horrible public speaker. I think to
        come at world unity through another issue, like justice, can be effective.
        The issue of impossibility is, I believe, the most important one we have to
        address. I believe that the number of people who are opposed to world
        unity for specific reasons is far less than the number of those who simply
        think its impossible and therefore not worth working toward (thus creating
        a self-fufilling prophesy; because if no one works for it, it is
        impossible). How is it we can get people to see that world unity is not
        some fuzzy, utopian ideal, but a real, viable alternative to the current
        nationalist-militarist system?

        Peace and Unity,
        Gary

        At 09:49 PM 8/31/99 -0500, you wrote:
        >From: Robert Stone <iam@...>
        >
        >Who and where I did not have in mind. I think that, although religion per
        se doesn't have world unity for
        >a goal, many congregations would not object to the idea if presented from
        the point of view of "doing
        >justice." To many people "world unity" may be a turn-off because they
        just say: It's impossible. So you
        >must get them interested from some angle that does shout that at them.
        >
        >Robert Stone
        >=====
        >"Gary K. Shepherd" <mailto:gshepher@...> wrote:
        > I'm not sure I understand your suggestion. Who would give these
        readings, and who would be listening to
        >them? Do you have a specific place in mind. I doubt that many (or any)
        churches would be amieable to the
        >suggestion of readings on world unity.
        >=====
        >On August 24, 1999 Robert Stone <mailto:iam@...> wrote:
        > It seems to me that it is very difficult for people to concentrate on
        more than one thing at a time.
        >When we are presented with so many injustices at one time, we tend to get
        overload and just ignore the
        >whole thing. Maybe you should consider something similar to the Common
        Lectionary of the liturgical
        >churches. A three year cycle of readings that would go through all these
        issues in an organized way. This
        >would help people broaden their knowledge a little at the time without
        presenting them with such an
        >overwhelming picture of the problems of the world.
        >=====
        >[in the messages below ". . . ." indicates material has been deleted]
        >On Tuesday, August 24, 1999 Gary K. Shepherd wrote: <gshepher@...>
        >. . . . The $64,000 question is how to get people to start discussing this
        issue seriously. . . . . In
        >fact, one of the ideas I've promoted is the creation of a booklet, similar
        to the very successful
        >environmentalist primer "One Hundred Simple Things You can Do to Save the
        Earth", which gave one hundred
        >things the average person could do to unite the world. . . . .
        >=====
        >On 8/24/99 World Citizen wrote: <worldcitizen@...> wrote:
        >. . . . we must raise global public awareness of our global, human status
        as world citizens . . . .
        >David Gallup

        >ATTN ONELIST USERS: stay current on the latest activities,
        >programs, & features at ONElist by joining our member newsletter at

        >"I have believed that the only way peace can be achieved is through world
        government" (Jawaharal Nehru)

        >For more information: www.worldservice.org

        Gary K. Shepherd
        Documents Center