HUAIROU COMMISSION STATEMENT AT WORLD URBAN FORUM 3

  • vancouvercommunityforum
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 31, 2006
      Actionable Ideas Developed at Grassroots Women's International Academy, led by GROOTS
      International and Presented by the Huairou Commission at the World Urban Forum 3

      www.huairou.org
      Vancouver, Canada
      June, 2006

      Women are ever more present in the struggle to make our cities sustainable. As
      administrators, academics, business women, technicians, activists, community members,
      and mayors and other politicians, we are involved in the effort to transform our world. We
      are experiencing an historic moment where many grassroots women,
      marginalized in the past, have been high-impact participants in this event.

      Prior to WUF, many of us (184 women) participated in the Grassroots Women's
      International Academy, representing over 30 countries and hundreds of thousands of
      people. There, we learnt from our peers and will take the exemplary practices home with
      us to our communities.

      Strengthened, we arrived at WUF, to share our expertise with partners including
      government representatives, professionals, academics, different sized NGOs and donors.
      We interacted, and they listened to our voices, not as beneficiaries, but as leaders,
      thinkers, innovators, teachers and committed people.

      If you pay attention to us and include us as equals, we will achieve the Millennium
      Development Goals, and much more*.

      Based on our experiences, we suggest the following actionable ideas:

      1. Consult grassroots and indigenous women as key experts

      Given our longstanding contributions and demonstrated knowledge and skills in
      improving the quality of life and building democracy, grassroots women must be
      represented as experts in all global, regional and national dialogues.

      The areas of expertise include sustainability, housing and land, post disaster and conflict
      recovery, HIV AIDS, caring communities, and economic development.

      Community focused indigenous women and women-led slum dwelling groups are among
      the most innovative, yet they are also the least recognized and consulted.

      We pledge our own networks, and call on donors and other partners to help us
      mainstream our expertise in upcoming opportunities that include:

      - Global AIDS Meeting, Toronto, August 2006
      - Afri-Cities, Kenya, September 2006
      - WUF 4, China, 2008

      2. Establish new funds for grassroots women's Peer Exchanges, public spaces and
      organizing

      - Peer Exchanges transfer effective skills and knowledge.
      - Grassroots ownership and management of public space sustains women's participation
      in public affairs, from planning and governance.
      - Expanding community organizing builds long-term movements.

      3. Donor Dialogues: International aid agencies should schedule dialogues with grassroots
      women leaders and local authorities to redirect funds & programs.

      Funding to address the HIV AIDS pandemic in Africa is one area where aid agencies
      should unite to hold formal consultations with grassroots women's groups working
      in conjunction with local authorities to provide care, treatment and prevention.
      Global funds have bypassed the grassroots and established top down processes while
      claiming to be participatory and transparent.

      Funding priorities and delivery systems, to respond to post disaster relief and
      recovery and to the provision of low-income housing are also skewed in ways that
      limit grassroots women's opportunities and community development.

      Grassroots women's groups have been filling the gaps and working with their local
      authorities to access and redirect resources for effective local problem solving.
      Donors need to hear these priorities and approaches and redesign aid streams to
      reflect them.

      4. Support grassroots and local authority collaborations and Local-to-Local Dialogues
      to sustain women's participation in local decision-making.

      The Huairou Commission and United Cities and Local Government are seeking resources
      for a 3-year joint program to sustain women's representation in local decision making and
      stave off burnout and turnover.

      Local to local dialogues are locally designed strategies whereby grassroots women's
      groups initiate and engage in on going dialogues with their local authorities for

      - Negotiating issues and priorities
      - Joint planning
      - Developing on going partnerships

      *They should be resourced and replicated.

      Event support generously contributed by AECI, American Jewish World Service,
      Commonwealth Fund (GROOTS Africa), Cordaid, Ford Foundation(GROOTS), Government of
      Canada, UN-HABITAT, AECI and UNIFEM (Women & Habitat-LAC)

      www.huairou.org
      www.wuf3-fum3.ca
      www.groots.org