Re: [WorldCitizen] This Information May Save the Life of Your Dog

  • Gary K. Shepherd
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 27, 2006
      Hi
      Your statements remind me of the descriptions I have read of the "good
      Germans", mostly ordinary people, who lived near the concentration camps,
      yet never protested, never questioned, just kept on living their ordinary
      lives the way ordinary people usually do. These were not evil people, just
      as the ones like Stockwell et al. are not evil. We live in a society in
      which the elites (if they are honest) are pledged to increase their own
      power and the power of their nation-state, at all costs. Just as a
      corporate executive cannot pursue policies that would cost his company
      market share just because his conscience tells him its the right thing to
      do, so also national leaders and politicians cannot let their morality
      stand in the way of "getting the job done".

      Gandhi once criticized social reformers who seek to create a society so
      perfect that "no one would have to do good." I think it is our
      responsibility to create a society in which it is at least possible for
      people to do good. Paradoxically, we must bestir the ordinary people away
      from their ordinary lives, so that, in the end, they can go back to living
      their ordinary lives, but in a way that no longer destroys the lives of
      their ordinary neighbors.

      World Peace and Unity,
      Gary

      Gary K. Shepherd
      Documents Center
      Morris Library
      SIU
      Carbondale, IL 62901
      618-536-2163
      gshepher@...
    • Gary K. Shepherd
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 27, 2006
        Hi
> [...]

        >and European leaders. The average citizens of countries and believers
        >in religions have no idea how they are being used to allow, or
        >actually to perpetrate the man-made atrocities of our world.
        >
        >-- Wm. Newman
        >
        >----------------------------
        >On Apr 13, 2006, at 5:23 AM, (ACRYLIC) wrote:
        >
        > > If humanity means anything at all it means we must cherish all
        > > life, not
        > > just our own.
        > >
        > > http://pnews.org/ArT/FrE/DoG.shtml

        > > And furthermore....
        > >
        > > People are suffering genocidal slavery;
        >(...)
        > > This is an issue that ought to be networked and brought to the
        > > attention of every world government. Where is the outrage for
        > > "real" slavery?
        > >
        > > Hank
        >

        >"I have believed that the only way peace can be achieved is through world

        Gary K. Shepherd
        Documents Center
        Morris Library
        SIU
        Carbondale, IL 62901
        618-536-2163
        gshepher@...
      • William Newman
        Message 3 of 6 , May 4, 2006
          Yes Gary, I've read about the "good" Germans, Poles, and others. But,
          I don't get the connection you are trying to make between them and
          John Stockwell, me, and whomever. What does, "These were not evil
          people, just as the ones like..." mean, if I may ask? I find your
          innuendo, weak as this tripe may be, insulting to the extreme.

          I met John in Austin, Texas about 25 years ago. He put his own safety
          on the line every time he stood in front of a university audience and
          spoke out, for example, against the CIA, US foreign policy, World
          Bank manipulation of Third World countries, and so on. Each public
          appearance put him in mortal danger. I wouldn't say John Stockwell
          could be considered an "elite" in any sense of the word, nor do any
          other of your correlations connect with reality.

          I have never been "ordinary" in the mainstream American cultural
          sense either. I became a vegan, animal/human rights & peace activist
          in my late teens, in a society (Texas) that did not have a lot of
          local support for these ideas generally speaking. I have been
          speaking out against the status quo, and for an equitable world
          community, privately and publicly for most of my life in one way or
          another, and I spent much of my youth acting out doing such things as
          sitting on railway tracks in Rocky Flats Col. to block nuclear
          missile shipments, fasting on liquids for up to 10 days at a time,
          and much else. I came to Japan 20 years ago after several months in
          India, Nepal and elsewhere studying religious and social thought and
          practice. I volunteered with the Hope Project working with a team of
          social workers, doctors, teachers and others in a 700-year-old Muslim
          village helping feed, heal, and educate impoverished refugees from as
          far away as Bangladesh, who were at the same time being exploited and
          abused by the local Muslims. I finally chose to live in Japan after
          that experience because I was spiritually exhausted from the apparent
          hopelessness of the cycles of despair: official and organizational
          corruption, ignorance, intractable poverty, rampant abuse, infant
          death, and so on. I came here also because there seemed to be an
          opportunity teaching to reach out to large numbers of young people
          and inspire an interest in the world and sense of kinship and
          responsibility for all societies. I integrated these themes into my
          lessons teaching in secondary schools until 2 years ago when I opened
          my own school. The themes woven into my courses remain the same:
          become aware of one's own daily thought and action, formulate
          thoughts and opinions regarding domestic and foreign policies and the
          world beyond; identify with world societies, not just Japan; vote and
          speak out whenever possible. I have been active in the local
          teachers' organizations and communities, and my voice is loud and
          clear, if not always welcome, in public and private discussions.

          You drop the term "good German" and the name "Gandhi" in a weak
          attempt at clever association for the sake of making some moral point
          that's scratching behind your ears. You did this very poorly and I
          find myself unexpectedly disappointed in you. Where, in all of the
          above or in anything I've written on this list previously, do you
          find _anything_ like the people who stood aside and watched as
          thousands of their neighbors were imprisoned, gassed, and rendered
          into bars of soap? I _have_ stated a number of times that my purpose
          on this list is to explore and learn from those who populate it. I do
          this in my rare spare time after work, usually around 2 or 3 a.m. So
          far, other than the few who seem to be organizing this thing, I have
          read few messages from those who are actually experienced using a
          World Citizen passport. This is okay with me; I intend to take my
          time and study the situation thoroughly before taking action on it. I
          have a life and am occupied raising 2 daughters going to high schools
          in two countries. What's more, this is not the only forum I am
          involved with. Finally, have _you_ actually been to Gandhi's hometown
          and spoken with the elders who live there, some of whom remembered
          him from childhood? Did you speak with the then headmaster at the
          handicrafts center he founded there? I did. And, I tell you the sense
          of desperate hopelessness even there is unsettling, as if the world
          had forgotten this great man and his message. These people were real,
          not just names to drop for the convenience of moral pontification.
          Use these names when you can identify with them to your very soul.

          Peace back at you,
          William Newman

          -----------

        • Gary K. Shepherd
          Message 4 of 6 , May 9, 2006
            Hi
            I gather from your reply that you misunderstood what I was trying to say.
            That is probably mostly my own fault, since I wasn't very clear about
            expressing myself. I hope you'll permit me to make another attempt.

            I believe that much -- if not most -- of the horrific things that happen in
            the world are the result not of evil people with evil intentions, but of
            ordinary people, largely with good intentions, trying to do the best they
            can in the situations in which they find themselves. Thus you have the
            soldier obeying orders even though they go against his conscience because
            that is what 'good' soldiers do, or the Germans who ignored what was going
            on in the camps because they were trying to be 'good' Germans. I do not
            know Mr. Stockwell personally, of course, but I would be willing to bet
            that while he was working for the CIA, doing the things he describes, he
            probably felt he was doing the right thing, i.e. what a 'good' patriotic
            American should do.

            So the point I was trying to make is that it is not merely a matter of
            convincing people to do the right thing, but of recreating the social
            system so that basically good, ordinary people are not placed in the
            position where in order to be a functioning member of society that they
            have to cause all sorts of misery and suffering on the part of others. And
            we need to create a system in which wealthy elites are not able manipulate
            the desire of people to do the right thing in order to get them to do what
            will benefit only the elites. I believe a unified, democratic Republic of
            Earth would be a major step in that direction.

            I found your resume impressive. As someone who has lived in southern
            Illinois his entire life and been out of the United States only once (to
            Canada), I think of myself as an rather ordinary person. But I have talked
            to people from all over the world, and the more I do, the more convinced I
            become that human beings -- American or Pakistani or South African,
            Christian or Muslim or Buddhist, rich or poor or middle class -- are all
            very much alike. To assign groups of people the role of 'bad guy' is, I
            think, mistaken.

            It was certainly not my intent to insult either you, Mr. Stockwell or
            Mr.Gandhi. In fact I am a great fan of Mr. Gandhi's writings, and had the
            honor of meeting one of his grandsons a few years ago.

            Peace and Unity,
            Gary

            Gary K. Shepherd
            Documents Center