Re: [WorldCitizen] Re:ality cheques

  • Dayo Adeagbo
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 29, 2005
      Gary,

      I agree with you on this subject, it takes few people to do evil and the little amendment in the law which is injurious to the freedom and peace of people go along way to affect the entire humanity.If we think about the terrorists, how many Osama Bin Laden do we have in the world as whole, yet the damage caused by this small group of people who think man can be killed  like any other animal in the world is terrible.We are all praying now, holding summit,meeting and one the top on the agenda is how to curb terrorism.But we have a lot of people who are committed to justice and freedom for humanity even though their voice may not be as loud as that of the terrorists and extremists,their impact is positive and helpful to humanity.There are so many voluntary organisation all over the world who dedicated their lives and resources to helping people in distress.There are NGOs who make donations to helping the less privilege and the poor.Bill Clinton foundation is out there to helping African AIDS victims and poor people and we have other foundations such as that who are committed to this cheerful giving .Well i think all of us should be sincere and trying to be hero in doing good to humanity.That is the only way we can remain relevant to the creator and the humanity.

      Shalom,

      Dayo.

      "Gary K. Shepherd" <gshepher@...> wrote:
      Hi
      I have to disagree with your pessimistic assessment of humanity.  It is
      simple to find examples of true heroism. In fact, they are so common that
      they seldom make the news, because they aren't newsworthy. Take the recent
      disaster in New Orleans; plenty of people performed poorly, but there have
      also been thousands of people who have left their homes and jobs to go down
      there to help (unpaid and unrewarded). During the massacre in Rwanda, there
      were people who risked their lives to save Tutsi and Hutu moderates from
      the extremist mobs. During the Nazi Holocaust, there were rescuers who
      likewise risked everything to hide Jews and spirit them to safety. In
      Denmark a vast conspiracy managed to sneak almost the entire Jewish
      population of the country (around 5,000  people) across the border right
      under the noses of the Nazi occupiers. In the United States, there were the
      underground railroad conductors who helped escaped slaves get to Canada.
      After the Kent State massacre, the number and size of anti-war protests
      actually increased.  In fact, any time you read about incidents of
      oppression and violence, you will read accounts of people who heroically
      resist it.

      These are all ordinary people, for the most part, people with jobs,
      families, homes who live an ordinary day-to-day existence, until some
      circumstance suddenly occurs that calls out the heroic part of their
      nature.  They are all around us: the volunteer fireman who rushes out to a
      fire; the ambulance worker who never knows what she's going to see on a
      call; the bookstore owner who stocks Satanic Verses on his shelves despite
      the threats of religious extremists; the single mom with three kids who
      takes in an abused foster child; the quadriplegic who struggles to lift a
      forkful of food so he can feed himself....I would say that the heroic
      people actually constitute 90 percent of the population, while it is the 10
      percent that do all the damage. Unfortunately, the current
      militarist-nationalist system tends to select from that 10 percent for
      positions of power and authority. They can then use their control to twist
      and manipulate the other 90 percent so that their heroism often ends up
      doing more evil than good.

      Gandhi once spoke disparagingly of social reformers who "want to create a
      world so perfect that no one has to do good." I think it is our job to
      create a world in which it is possible for people to do good.

      Peace and Unity,
      Gary

      At 01:27 AM 9/28/2005 +0100, you wrote:

      > >> -Ma: Both my grandfathers were there - yes, people were very heroic.
      > >

      >my family were there too.
      >
      >I have grave doubts. Look at humans today.
      >Apathetic spoilt cowards mostly. its a fact.
      >let's not kid ourselves.
      >
      >look around for the 10% to find heroism.
      >
      >the rest are easily blinded by fear, led by pride,
      >suffer self-denial and the need for a safe life.
      >Thinking money will relieve them from the responsibility of life.
      >(and in many ways are forced into this madness)
      >
      >look at the troops in the middle east, they are not heroes.
      >Dumb uneducated kids, playing video games with peoples lives.
      >With manic religious extremists on the other side.
      >both sides are stupid, and deserve no support.
      >
      >people need to speak the truth.
      >
      >that's why we are in this mess in the first place on Earth!
      >
      >time to kick some butt, hurts some egos, and give out some reality
      >checks/cheques.  :-p
      >
      >That's why I like Bob Geldof. He speaks straight. No bullsh*t.
      >No emperors clothes.
      >People like him are more heroic, because they open their mouths
      >when they seem something obviously wrong, and focus their lives in
      >the pursuit of curing
      >the problem - while ignoring others mockery.
      >
      >pe@ce
      >MIRAI
      >

      >"I have believed that the only way peace can be achieved is through world
      >government" (Jawaharal Nehru)
      >
      >For more information: www.worldservice.org and info@...
      >
      >Yahoo! Groups Links

      Gary K. Shepherd
      Documents Center
      Morris Library
      SIU
      Carbondale, IL 62901
      618-536-2163
      gshepher@...

      YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

      This is something i know and will like to know more, God is love and love is the fulfillment of the laws,live for love and fear God.Dayo.

    • ro-esp
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 2, 2005
        should that be "reality checks"?

        Citeren * MIRAI * <mirai@...>:

        > I have grave doubts. Look at humans today.
        > Apathetic spoilt cowards mostly. its a fact.

        yes, it's always easy to do as the ones around you do...or to live up to what
        you're told is "natural", especially if you overlook the "defiants" (or is
        it "deviant" :-) )

        > That's why I like Bob Geldof. He speaks straight. No bullsh*t.
        > No emperors clothes.

        Some people see him as just someone who does it for the attention. What real
        results did his talking with billionairs have?

        > People like him are more heroic, because they open their mouths
        > when they seem something obviously wrong, and focus their lives in
        > the pursuit of curing the problem - while ignoring others mockery.

        some will no doubt argue, that it's easier to be heroic, if you can't loose
        your livelyhood...
        groetjes, Ronaldo

        --
        http://www.esperanto.net
      • Mark
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 10, 2005
          --* MIRAI * wrote:

          > >> -Ma: Both my grandfathers were there - yes, people were very
          heroic.

          >mI: my family were there too. I have grave doubts. Look at humans
          today. Apathetic spoilt cowards mostly.

          -Ma: Why is this? I say its due to:

          1. Lack of vision:
          -a. Spiritual vision - what is the goal of life? Do most know? Do
          most even ask?

          -b. cultural vision - what does it mean to be a member of society?
          Therfore, what should I do?

          -c. material vision - what should the material resources of society
          be directed toward? And why?

          2. Lack of knowledge.
          "Something is VERY wrong with society, but i just can't precisely
          identify the MECHANISMS of this wrongness."

          3. Lack of Hope.
          "How can I possibly change things?"

          >mI: its a fact. let's not kid ourselves. look around for the 10% to
          find heroism. the rest are easily blinded by fear, led by pride,
          suffer self-denial and the need for a safe life. Thinking money will
          relieve them from the responsibility of life. (and in many ways are
          forced into this madness)

          -M: OK.

          >mI: look at the troops in the middle east, they are not heroes.
          Dumb uneducated kids, playing video games with peoples lives. With
          manic religious extremists on the other side. both sides are stupid,
          and deserve no support. people need to speak the truth. that's why we
          are in this mess in the first place on Earth! time to kick some butt,
          hurts some egos, and give out some reality checks/cheques. :-p

          -M: Agreed. But is truthful information the only SOLUTION?

          How is the best way to ORGANIZE this truth? (hint:SD2)

          >mI: That's why I like Bob Geldof. He speaks straight. No bullsh*t.
          No emperors clothes. People like him are more heroic, because they
          open their mouths when they seem something obviously wrong, and focus
          their lives in the pursuit of curing the problem - while ignoring
          others mockery. pe@ce MIRAI

          -M: Wasn't he organizing African aid? Money to the African
          GOVERNMENTS!?!?

          Doesn't this further entrench the already existing corruption? Is
          Geldof in a FANTESY world?

          Remember the saying "The road to hell is paved with good intention."

          You said the 'pursuit of curing the problem'. I prefer the *actual*
          curing of a problem.

          shanti
          Mark, Seattle