Re: [WorldCitizen] Re:(WorldCitizen)Re: patriotism

  • Rob Cochran
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 30, 2005
      Agreed.  It is a slippery slope.

      "Gary K. Shepherd" <gshepher@...> wrote:
      Hi
      The difficulty is that, at least in our current nationalist-militarist
      society, the one can so easily slip into the other. It does not take very
      much to go from pride in my country, to desire to preserve my country, to
      fear that another country or group may harm my country, to hatred of those
      that threaten it, to aggression against those that threaten it.  It is a
      slippery slope indeed.
      Peace and Unity,
      Gary

      At 08:30 AM 6/21/2005 -0700, you wrote:
      >I agree with you Daniel.
      >
      >Daniel Branch <bxbggy@...> wrote:
      >        I believe that there's a positive and negative side to patriotism.On
      >the positive side,partriotism can instill love and pride for one's
      >country,its culture and its people.It helps people acknowledge and
      >appreciate the contributions made by their country to human
      >civilization.Patriotism motivates and inspire citizens to contribute to the
      >common good and well-being of their homeland.There's also a negative side to
      >patriotism,in which the love and pride for one's own country is transformed
      >into a belligerent,egocentric super-patriotism that regards other
      >nations,other cultures and other racial/ethnic groups as
      >inferior,uncivilized and potential threats to the homeland's security.It's
      >the cause of divisiveness,hatred and conflict throughout human
      >history.National patriotism should be elevated to the level of global
      >patriotism,in which the love of one's country is supplemented with the love
      >for all of humanity.Global patriotism can come into existence through a
      >democratic United Earth government.
      >

      >"I have believed that the only way peace can be achieved is through world
      >government" (Jawaharal Nehru)
      >
      >For more information: www.worldservice.org and info@...
      >

      >"Peace begins with each one of us....We do not complain at the sorry state
      >of the world. We take responsibility. We take action. We take charge of
      >our kitchen."
      >
      >- Kushi

      >http://mail.yahoo.com
      >
      >"I have believed that the only way peace can be achieved is through world
      >government" (Jawaharal Nehru)
      >
      >For more information: www.worldservice.org and info@...

      >    *
      > <mailto:WorldCitizen-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com?subject=Unsubscribe>WorldCitizen-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
      >
      >    *
      >    * Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the

      Gary K. Shepherd
      Documents Center
      Morris Library
      SIU
      Carbondale, IL 62901
      618-536-2163
      gshepher@...

      "I have believed that the only way peace can be achieved is through world government" (Jawaharal Nehru)

      For more information: www.worldservice.org and info@...

      "Peace begins with each one of us....We do not complain at the sorry state of the world. We take responsibility. We take action. We take charge of our kitchen."

      - Kushi

      Yahoo! Sports