Re: The Nation-State:Do We Need It?

  • smqadri78
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 8, 2002
      Hello everyone,

      not sure I have ever posted anything before, so here it goes. I agree
      with Gary on all points. Beyond that, it might be worth asking what a
      nation-state really is - what does it signify. I quite like the comment
      of Howard Zinn (et al) that nation-states are intensely artifical
      notions that have generally been maintained through violence and not
      cooperation. Certainly the histories of most of the world's nation
      states seems to bear this out (and most recently, in Africa and parts
      of Asia).

      I think these defficiencies of the nation state have major implications
      on the UN system. The UN has shown itself to be less and less able or
      willing to implement international law. The manner in which Annan has
      bewailed Iraq's intransigence over weapons inspectors (without ever
      mentioning the fact that the regime and methods of inspection proposed
      by the US are deliberately calculated in a manner as to make them
      unacceptable by Saddam's regime) is never mentioned.

      As for what can replace the current nation state? Civil society helps.

      Mustafa.

      --- In WorldCitizen@y..., "Gary K. Shepherd" <gshepher@l...> wrote:
      > Hi
      > This is a huge subject that deserves a book at least written about it; and
      > in fact several books have been written about it. But I will confine
      > myself to saying 1. yes, 2. yes, and 3. yes.
      > Peace and Unity,
      > Gary
      >
      > At 05:58 AM 7/11/2002 +0000, ts255 wrote:
      > >Here's some questions I like to address to all the members of this
      > >group which concerns the nation-state
      > >system:
      > > 1.Does the nation-state still play a significant role in global
      > >relations?
      > > 2.Has it lost its power and influence in a globalized
      > >society?
      > > 3.Is it an out-dated concept that needs to be replaced?
      > >

      > >"I have believed that the only way peace can be achieved is through world
      > >government" (Jawaharal Nehru)
      > >
      > >For more information: www.worldservice.org and info@w...

      > Gary K. Shepherd
      > Documents Center
      > Morris Library
      > SIU
      > Carbondale, IL 62901
      > 618-536-2163
      > gshepher@l...
    • Gary K. Shepherd
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 20, 2002
        Hi
        Could you give me the exact Zinn quote, or tell me where I could find it?
        Peace and Unity.
        Gary
        P.S. As for what can replace the nation-state, I believe the answer to
        that is quite simple: the Republic of Earth. Unlike nation-states whose
        boundaries and citizenships are highly artificial and rather arbitrary, the
        Earth is a physically defined place, and its citizens are easily identifiable.

      • ts255
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 25, 2002

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          > > > Gary K. Shepherd
          > > > Documents Center
          > > > Morris Library
          > > > SIU
          > > > Carbondale, IL 62901
          > > > 618-536-2163
          > > > gshepher@l...
          > >

          > >"I have believed that the only way peace can be achieved is
          through world
          > >government" (Jawaharal Nehru)
          > >
          > >For more information: www.worldservice.org and info@w...
          > >

          > >Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          > Gary K. Shepherd
          > Documents Center
          > Morris Library
          > SIU
          > Carbondale, IL 62901
          > 618-536-2163

          gshepher@l...

          Can't agree with you more,Gary.Global trends such as
          transnational corporations,terrorism,the AIDS/HIV virus,extreme
          poverty and computet crimes,just to name a few,are overwelming the
          nation-state system.These problems can't be solved by national
          governments unilaterally.They will have to solve these problems
          collectively through some form of democratic global government.
        • Gary K. Shepherd
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 30, 2002
            At 09:29 PM 8/25/2002 +0000, you wrote:
            >--- In WorldCitizen@y..., "Gary K. Shepherd" <gshepher@l...> wrote:

            Hi.
            The 64 thousand dollar question of course, is how do we get from where we
            are now to where we need to be? There is considerable controversy over
            that question.
            Peace and Unity,
            Gary

            > > Gary K. Shepherd
            > > Documents Center
            > > Morris Library
            > > SIU
            > > Carbondale, IL 62901
            > > 618-536-2163
            > >
            >gshepher@l...
            >
            > Can't agree with you more,Gary.Global trends such as
            >transnational corporations,terrorism,the AIDS/HIV virus,extreme
            >poverty and computet crimes,just to name a few,are overwelming the
            >nation-state system.These problems can't be solved by national
            >governments unilaterally.They will have to solve these problems
            >collectively through some form of democratic global government.
            >

            >"I have believed that the only way peace can be achieved is through world
            >government" (Jawaharal Nehru)
            >
            >For more information: www.worldservice.org and info@...

            Gary K. Shepherd
            Documents Center