Re: [WorldCitizen] The Nation-State:Do We Need It?

  • Gary K. Shepherd
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 17, 2002
      Hi
      This is a huge subject that deserves a book at least written about it; and
      in fact several books have been written about it. But I will confine
      myself to saying 1. yes, 2. yes, and 3. yes.
      Peace and Unity,
      Gary

      At 05:58 AM 7/11/2002 +0000, ts255 wrote:
      >Here's some questions I like to address to all the members of this
      >group which concerns the nation-state
      >system:
      > 1.Does the nation-state still play a significant role in global
      >relations?
      > 2.Has it lost its power and influence in a globalized
      >society?
      > 3.Is it an out-dated concept that needs to be replaced?
      >

      >"I have believed that the only way peace can be achieved is through world
      >government" (Jawaharal Nehru)
      >
      >For more information: www.worldservice.org and info@...

      Gary K. Shepherd
      Documents Center
      Morris Library
      SIU
      Carbondale, IL 62901
      618-536-2163
      gshepher@...
    • smqadri78
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 8, 2002
        Hello everyone,

        not sure I have ever posted anything before, so here it goes. I agree
        with Gary on all points. Beyond that, it might be worth asking what a
        nation-state really is - what does it signify. I quite like the comment
        of Howard Zinn (et al) that nation-states are intensely artifical
        notions that have generally been maintained through violence and not
        cooperation. Certainly the histories of most of the world's nation
        states seems to bear this out (and most recently, in Africa and parts
        of Asia).

        I think these defficiencies of the nation state have major implications
        on the UN system. The UN has shown itself to be less and less able or
        willing to implement international law. The manner in which Annan has
        bewailed Iraq's intransigence over weapons inspectors (without ever
        mentioning the fact that the regime and methods of inspection proposed
        by the US are deliberately calculated in a manner as to make them
        unacceptable by Saddam's regime) is never mentioned.

        As for what can replace the current nation state? Civil society helps.

        Mustafa.

        --- In WorldCitizen@y..., "Gary K. Shepherd" <gshepher@l...> wrote:
        > Hi
        > This is a huge subject that deserves a book at least written about it; and
        > in fact several books have been written about it. But I will confine
        > myself to saying 1. yes, 2. yes, and 3. yes.
        > Peace and Unity,
        > Gary
        >
        > At 05:58 AM 7/11/2002 +0000, ts255 wrote:
        > >Here's some questions I like to address to all the members of this
        > >group which concerns the nation-state
        > >system:
        > > 1.Does the nation-state still play a significant role in global
        > >relations?
        > > 2.Has it lost its power and influence in a globalized
        > >society?
        > > 3.Is it an out-dated concept that needs to be replaced?
        > >

        > >"I have believed that the only way peace can be achieved is through world
        > >government" (Jawaharal Nehru)
        > >
        > >For more information: www.worldservice.org and info@w...

        > Gary K. Shepherd
        > Documents Center
        > Morris Library
        > SIU
        > Carbondale, IL 62901
        > 618-536-2163
        > gshepher@l...
      • Gary K. Shepherd
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 20, 2002
          Hi
          Could you give me the exact Zinn quote, or tell me where I could find it?
          Peace and Unity.
          Gary
          P.S. As for what can replace the nation-state, I believe the answer to
          that is quite simple: the Republic of Earth. Unlike nation-states whose
          boundaries and citizenships are highly artificial and rather arbitrary, the
          Earth is a physically defined place, and its citizens are easily identifiable.

        • ts255
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 25, 2002

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            > > > Gary K. Shepherd
            > > > Documents Center
            > > > Morris Library
            > > > SIU
            > > > Carbondale, IL 62901
            > > > 618-536-2163
            > > > gshepher@l...
            > >

            > >"I have believed that the only way peace can be achieved is
            through world
            > >government" (Jawaharal Nehru)
            > >
            > >For more information: www.worldservice.org and info@w...
            > >

            > >Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            > Gary K. Shepherd
            > Documents Center
            > Morris Library
            > SIU
            > Carbondale, IL 62901
            > 618-536-2163

            gshepher@l...

            Can't agree with you more,Gary.Global trends such as
            transnational corporations,terrorism,the AIDS/HIV virus,extreme
            poverty and computet crimes,just to name a few,are overwelming the
            nation-state system.These problems can't be solved by national
            governments unilaterally.They will have to solve these problems
            collectively through some form of democratic global government.
          • Gary K. Shepherd
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 30, 2002
              At 09:29 PM 8/25/2002 +0000, you wrote:
              >--- In WorldCitizen@y..., "Gary K. Shepherd" <gshepher@l...> wrote:

              Hi.
              The 64 thousand dollar question of course, is how do we get from where we
              are now to where we need to be? There is considerable controversy over
              that question.
              Peace and Unity,
              Gary

              > > Gary K. Shepherd
              > > Documents Center
              > > Morris Library
              > > SIU
              > > Carbondale, IL 62901
              > > 618-536-2163
              > >
              >gshepher@l...
              >
              > Can't agree with you more,Gary.Global trends such as
              >transnational corporations,terrorism,the AIDS/HIV virus,extreme
              >poverty and computet crimes,just to name a few,are overwelming the
              >nation-state system.These problems can't be solved by national
              >governments unilaterally.They will have to solve these problems
              >collectively through some form of democratic global government.
              >

              >"I have believed that the only way peace can be achieved is through world
              >government" (Jawaharal Nehru)
              >
              >For more information: www.worldservice.org and info@...

              Gary K. Shepherd
              Documents Center