RE: How Can DWG be Attained?

  • World Citizen
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 6, 2002
      Dear Hank:

      I agree that, "There IS a way out, but it requires world government"; that's
      why the World Government of World Citizen was founded in 1953.

      It is not a question of national citizens pressuring "their" governments to
      protect the planet. It is up to us human beings to unite as world citizens,
      which we already are by birth and in fact, and create the global
      institutions and structures of world law that nation-state governments have
      refused to create and have no vested interest in creating.

      World Government in macrocosm has to start somewhere and it is we, the
      people, who have the right and the duty to see that it is developed and
      fluorishes.

      Everyone will win in a world where human needs and rights are met. It is a
      question of providing an alternative to what the nation-state is now
      providing--a false sense of security and sustainability. Even business
      leaders can see the advantages of being able to sell their (environmentally
      sustainable) products to a world where everyone is to some degree a
      consumer. Right now, 5 of the 6 billion people on the planet are just
      trying to scrape together their next meal. We have to choose to govern the
      world in a way that allows resources (human and natural) to assist other
      humans and the planet rather than to perpetuate a system that is based on
      violence as preordained.

      War is now legal under international humanitarian law. Until we outlaw it
      and establish the institutions of law that help us to deal with global
      conflict, nation-state governments will continue to spend 3 trillion dollars
      a year preparing for and waging wars--of which only one-fourth would be
      enough to begin to resolve many global problems.

      Have you asked your Congress member to represent you in a World Parliament?
      Have you thought about running for a position in a World Parliament? I'd
      like to hear what your national officials have to say about "transitioning
      to a sustainable and just world."

      Yours in service to the world,

      David Gallup

      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 7, 2002
        Dear Hank:

        We are there already. The World Government is already functioning as a
        mechanism to help people and promote protection of the planet. You may not
        know this but WSA's World Judicial Commission and Legal Department are
        helping individuals everyday by writing amicus curiae briefs, affidavits of
        support, petitions to inter-regional human rights commissions and to the UN
        High Commissioner for Human Rights and conducting letter-writing campaigns
        to heads of state and foreign/justice ministries. Our legal work has helped
        people to avoid deportation and hence torture, to exercise their right to
        work, to travel freely, to exercise their right to freedom of expression, to
        obtain medical or social assistance, to understand and claim other rights,
        etc.

        For example, our next door neighbor in our office building is a private
        immigration lawyer from Ethiopia who handles many cases of people seeking
        political asylum from Eritrea and Ethiopia. After Sept. 11, his clients who
        had no ID papers because they entered the US with nothing but the clothes on
        their backs, were barred from the Court House for so-called security
        purposes. The Judges said that they wouldn't hear the persons' cases if
        they could not identify themselves. Once, however, the World Service
        Authority issued them the WSA World Identity Card, they were allowed by the
        Marshal Service to enter the Court House and have their day in court,
        effectively assisting them in claiming their right to due process. This is
        but one example of how, as a service institution, the World Government is
        improving peoples' lives.

        Are we really moving World Government, let alone the dialogue, forward by us
        preaching to the choir in this virtual discussion? Meanwhile, according to
        UNICEF, 30,000 children die everyday from malnutrition, disease and
        violence.

        By identifying ourselves legally and politically as world citizens, not just
        symbolically, we affirm that we are the governors of our own destiny.

        We are all novices in the process of creating World Peace I. And I agree
        that we need an exponential increase, not the slow geometric crawl, in
        participation in the process of identifying ourselves as world citizens.
        That's where you and all world citizens can make a difference.

        There are many paths in the process to peace but unless we agree, first of
        all, that we need to establish and buy into the global institutions of law
        from which peace will be a consequence, the current paradigm of structural
        violence and exclusion will continue ad infinitem. Declaring ourselves as
        world citizens of democratic/participatory world government, puts us in the
        framework to develop the concomitant global, legal institutions of that
        government. Then taking immediate action as world citizens, even in
        microcosmic ways--such as helping people to understand and claim their
        rights--reinforces the importance of the structures to the world public and
        the crucial need for further development of those global structures.

        What other mechanisms do you suggest? And if you have others, please, go
        forth and make them happen now and I'll follow your lead.

        Yours in service to the world,

        David Gallup, Esq., President
        World Service Authority(R)
        1012 14th Street NW
        Washington, DC 20005
        Tel: 202-638-2662
        Fax: 202-638-0638
        Email: davidgallup@...
        Internet: www.worldservice.org or www.worldcitnews.org

        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 7, 2002
          Hi
          I am 100 percent in agreement that this kind of work, the down and dirty,
          day to day work of protecting individual's human rights, is an important
          path toward the accomplishment of our goals. It is not glamorous, or
          extremely visible, but it is nevertheless valuable. It gives an example
          that ordinary people can relate to of how world unity can effect them
          directly, not in some airy-fairy way in some vague far-off future, but
          right here and right now. It is also an example of how people can take
          control, subverting the authority claimed by the national governments in
          ways that they are not sure of how to prevent.

          However, I believe sincerely, that it is only one of many paths that we
          need to pursue.
          Peace and Unity,
          Gary