Feynman (& Galambos?)

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 7, 2012
      Randist Bo7b aka Bob Wynman WWP Email Member who advocates the Marxist elements of Randism bobalou@...) Feynman sed lotsa brilliant things ... and in a way that didn't tend to turn folks off. He was a great teacher & probly 'splains the Scientific Method better than any other human.

      I've wondered if he & Galambos commnicated much. they were probably the world's foremost physicists at about the same time, 'tho relatively few folks knew 'bout Galambos' work:

      "Richard P. Feynman Quotes

      There is a computer disease that anybody who works with computers knows about. It's a very serious disease and it interferes completely with the work. The trouble with computers is that you 'play' with them!
      Richard P. Feynman

      It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart you are. If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong.
      Richard P. Feynman

      It is in the admission of ignorance and the admission of uncertainty that there is a hope for the continuous motion of human beings in some direction that doesn't get confined, permanently blocked, as it has so many times before in various periods in the history of man.
      Richard P. Feynman

      The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool.
      Richard P. Feynman

      If I could explain it to the average person, I wouldn't have been worth the Nobel Prize.
      Richard P. Feynman [He claims he got that line from a cabbie shortly after he won the prize--rw]

      I was born not knowing and have had only a little time to change that here and there.
      Richard P. Feynman

      Nature uses only the longest threads to weave her patterns, so that each small piece of her fabric reveals the organization of the entire tapestry.
      Richard P. Feynman

      For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.
      Richard P. Feynman

      Poets say science takes away from the beauty of the stars - mere globs of gas atoms. I, too, can see the stars on a desert night, and feel them. But do I see less or more?
      Richard P. Feynman

      Too Scientific views end in awe and mystery, lost at the edge in uncertainty, but they appear to be so deep and so impressive that the theory that it is all arranged as a stage for God to watch man's struggle for good and evil seems inadequate.
      Richard P. Feynman

      Reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled.
      Richard P. Feynman

      We are at the very beginning of time for the human race. It is not unreasonable that we grapple with problems. But there are tens of thousands of years in the future. Our responsibility is to do what we can, learn what we can, improve the solutions, and pass them on.
      Richard P. Feynman

      I believe that a scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy.
      Richard P. Feynman

      The idea is to try to give all the information to help others to judge the value of your contribution; not just the information that leads to judgment in one particular direction or another.
      Richard P. Feynman "

      From: Bob Wynman

      > Agreed, Dave (even if you perceive it as
      > disagreement)!

      > One possibly interesting comment, RE: "a dead
      > victim can not be compensated"
      > --In today's society, that's certainly true. In
      > the future high-tech Voluntary
      > Society, perhaps the dead victim could become
      > alive again and receive
      > compensation.

      Suppose then we murder a guy, but he is brought
      back to life. Can there be a murder

      > Richard Feynman, perhaps the world's foremost
      > physicist, stated that, while there
      > are physical laws that prevent perpetual motion
      > from existing, there's no such
      > law that prevents perpetual life.

      I love Feynman, but he is a terrible conga player.
      (I have a CD)

      > & RE: " throw some jail time in there too."
      > --Ever consider the rationality (& certainly the
      > morality) of "jail" in
      > which a criminal is lodged at the expense of us
      > non-criminals,
      > including the victim(s) of the criminal, in a
      > place that prevents the
      > criminal from creating any wealth for
      > restitution to the victim(s)?

      I don't believe in prison at all actually. First
      we neuter the bastard,
      second offense means death penalty. Why tolerate a
      repeat offender.

      > Seems less than a brilliant idea. In the
      > voluntary society, we aim
      > for restitution rather than retribution, which
      > is the present
      > State-controlled injustice system.

      I don't know how many offenders would turn their
      life around
      sufficiently enough to earn much for restitution.
      I think they
      pretty much scrape along the bottom.

      "There is a danger from all men. The only maxim of a free government ought to be to trust no man living with power to endanger the public liberty."--James Madison, Notes for an Oration at Braintree [Spring 1772]

      "Your mental attitude is something you can control outright and you must use self discipline until you create a positive mental attitude - your mental attitude attracts to you everything that makes you what you are."

      --Napoleon Hill
      1883-1970, Author of "Think and Grow Rich"