Medical Schools Must Pay Social Security Taxes for Residents

  • der Hoaxster
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 12, 2011
      What comes next? Paid overtime?

      [link] In a decision that will cost medical schools and teaching hospitals an estimated $700-million annually, the U.S. Supreme Court ruled unanimously on Tuesday that full-time medical residents in training are employees, not students, and are subject to Social Security and Medicare taxes.

      The ruling, which representatives of medical colleges were quick to criticize, ends a longstanding dispute over whether medical colleges must pay the employer's portion of the taxes for their medical residents.

      Before 2005, medical colleges did not have to pay the taxes, called FICA, for residents, even though they often work well beyond 40 hours a week--the medical colleges argued that the work was related more to their educational experience. In 2005, however, the IRS issued new rules that erased the exception for students who are essentially full-time employees, such as medical residents.

      http://chronicle.com/article/Medical-Schools-Must-Pay/125916/?sid=at&utm_source=at&utm_medium=en
    • Earl
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 28, 2011

        Old mail alert.

        LOL.  My bride graduated in the early 80's.  We'd be rich if they had paid overtime!  Oops, no we wouldn't but we would have had a much better time!
[...]

        To compel a man to subsidize with
        his taxes the propagation of ideas which  he
        disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.
        Thomas  Jefferson