Neil on Ethics??!?

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 22, 2013
      Randist Bo7b aka Bob Wynman WWP Email Member (bobalou@...)
      --Have you any idea of what the concept of "ethics" entails, Neil?

      "Ethics is an objective, metaphysical necessity of man's survival. . . .
      I quote from Galt's speech: "Man has been called a rational being, but rationality is a matter of choice-and the alternative his nature offers him is: rational being or suicidal animal. Man has to be man-by choice; he has to hold his life as a value-by choice; he has to learn to sustain it-by choice; he has to discover the values it requires and practice his virtues-by choice. A code of values accepted by choice is a code of morality."

      The standard of value of the Objectivist ethics-the standard by which one judges what is good or evil-is man's life, or: that which is required for man's survival qua man.

      Since reason is man's basic means of survival, that which is proper to the life of a rational being is the good; that which negates, opposes or destroys it is the evil. Since everything man needs has to be discovered by his own mind and produced by his own effort, the two essentials of the method of survival proper to a rational being are: thinking and productive work.

      "The Objectivist Ethics,"
      The Virtue of Selfishness, 23"

      Even with your impressive resume, it may still be possible, to learn things, Neil.

      --bob

      Let us determine that we shall not allow the state to be our master, but hat we shall be the masters of the state. The long road of history is lined with the ruins of those states which bought the souls and the wills of their peoples by the lure of a granted security, and then led them to ruin by the same mirage. The world does not need one more such ruin. It needs a people who will be really secure and enduring, as far as mortal life is possible -- secure and enduring because each member or society is a person who accepts his and her responsibilities as duties, and asks only that the state act to keep the avenues of freedom open.

      - Russell J. Clinchy, The Freeman [November 1980]

      That the aggressor, who puts himself into the state of war with another, and unjustly invades another man's right, can, by such an unjust war, never come to have a right over the conquered, will be easily agreed by all men, who will not think that robbers and pirates have a right of empire over whomsoever t

      --bob & lou

      Neil C. Reinhardt WWP Former Member and self identified atheist (NeilC@...) YOU HAVE NO ETHICS!