Earl & Eve on "Selfishness"?

    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 21, 2013
      Randist Bo7b aka Bob Wynman WWP Email Member (bobalou@...) Thanks for your kind words, Eve, but I'm no expert on ethics/morality. I think Auntie Ayn is, 'tho. Ethics is the third branch of her philosophy, derived from her metaphysics and epistemology & leading to her politics:

      "What is morality, or ethics? It is a code of values to guide man’s choices and actions—the choices and actions that determine the purpose and the course of his life. Ethics, as a science, deals with discovering and defining such a code.
      The first question that has to be answered, as a precondition of any attempt to define, to judge or to accept any specific system of ethics, is: Why does man need a code of values?

      Let me stress this. The first question is not: What particular code of values should man accept? The first question is: Does man need values at all—and why?

      “The Objectivist Ethics,”
      The Virtue of Selfishness, 13 "

      --bob

      Eve Demian WWP Member (evedemian@...) "Ethics" is an egotistical premise. Not saying that it isn't one of the better ones - - but, Bob, like it or not, it IS a selfish (self-congratulating, self-promoting) premise - - - that says, "Look at me! How great I am! I'm better than *you*! And if I can get you to believe in my "ethics", I'm even more wonderful!!").

      Don't be afraid of the psychological, Bob. It can be thrown a cookie, for good performance, and manipulated nicely, for interesting effects.