Pequots was Yanomani

  • der Hoaxster
    Message 1 of 17 , Feb 21, 2013
      It looks like the Pequots were largely agricultural.

      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pequot

      I wonder if the tip Roger Williams provided resulted in his deportation order being rescinded.

      der Hoaxster email group moderator (derhoaxster@...) Roger Williams used his linguistic ability to get wind of the impending
      Pequot attack and warned both the Bay Colony and the Nieuw Amsterdam settlement.

    • der Hoaxster GMail
      Message 2 of 17 , Feb 21, 2013
        Roger was excommunicated and ordered deported due to his arguments against taking Pequot land.

        Al J WWP Email Member and Baha'i(Algae5636@... ) The colonists were expanding into what had been agreed was Pequot land. The Pequot were vocal about it. Old Roger would have had a hard time avoiding the knowledge that the Pequot were going to defend their territory.

        der Hoaxster (derhoaxster@...) Roger Williams used his linguistic ability to get wind of the impending Pequot attack and warned both the Bay Colony and the Nieuw Amsterdam settlement.

      • der Hoaxster GMail
        Message 3 of 17 , Feb 21, 2013

          Why did Plymouth have more people go native than the Massachusetts Bay Colony? Hoaxster(1/2)n went to Massachusetts Bay.

          Al J WWP Email Member and Baha'i(Algae5636@... ) The Plymouth colony, among others, had a serious problem with people "going native".

          der Hoaxster (derhoaxster@...) About 10 years ago, I picked up a book on the King Phillips War in Barnes and Noble. It included an account of that attack on the Pequot village. An English colonist who had joined the Pequots was captured. He was convicted on a charge of apostasy and executed. I frequently regret not buying that book.

          Can't blame it on der Hoaxster. The boat with a Hoaxster on board was a couple of years later.

          Al J WWP Email Member and Baha'i (Algae5636@... ) (snip) Or we could cite the Plymouth colonists' wipeout of the Pequot village at Missituk (now Mystic, Connecticut) on May 6, 1637 as an example of "Yanomani behavior" (snip)

        • der Hoaxster GMail
          Message 4 of 17 , Feb 21, 2013
            In this case, these girls went native by being captured. The Yanomani would do the same.

            [link] Through the fall and winter, Fort Saybrook was effectively besieged. People who ventured outside were killed. As spring arrived in 1637, the Pequot stepped up their raids on Connecticut towns. On April 23, Wongunk chief Sequin attacked Wethersfield with Pequot help. They killed six men and three women, a number of cattle and horses, and took two young girls captive.

            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pequot_War

          • Algae5636@...
            Message 5 of 17 , Feb 22, 2013
              Al J WWP Email Member and Baha'i(Algae5636@... ) The old Testament Jews destroyed towns, plundered stuff, killed the adults, kept the children and made them "go native (Jewish :-)". We brought captured African people here by the boatload, and forced them to "go native"-- made them live our way instead of theirs.
              So you see, the Yanomani would do the same as us too.

              der Hoaxster(derhoaxster@...) In this case, these girls went native by being captured. The Yanomani would do the same.

              [link] Through the fall and winter, Fort Saybrook was effectively besieged. People who ventured outside were killed. As spring arrived in 1637, the Pequot stepped up their raids on Connecticut towns. On April 23, Wongunk chief Sequin attacked Wethersfield with Pequot help. They killed six men and three women, a number of cattle and horses, and took two young girls captive.

              http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pequot_War

              Al J WWP Email Member and Baha'i(Algae5636@... ) The Plymouth colony, among others, had a serious problem with people "going native".
            • kurt31416
              Message 6 of 17 , Feb 23, 2013
                Kurt Pi WWP Member [kurt31416@...] Ehhhh...I don't think so. If memory serves, if they didn't exterminate all living things in the conquered cities, the only ones permitted to live were young virgin women for sex slaves.

                It was a hard world 3000 years ago, it's still a hard world now in most places.

                Message 7 of 17 , Apr 18, 2013
                  I was at an event in a local grade school. Students were putting on a wax museum. Each student had chosen a historical figure and created a display board with pictures and text about the character. Each student were dressed as a wax figure of the character they had chosen.

                  A girl with roots in the Indian sub-continent was playing Sacagawea. Reading the story board, I became aware that Sacagawea was Shoshone who had been captured by Hidatsa. She had passed into the ownership of a French background man through purchase and became wife #2.

                  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sacagawea