Morning Briefing: Why Did You Propose It?

  • Rich Martin
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 20, 2013

      Morning Briefing
      For February 20, 2013

      1.  His Idea: Why Did Barack Obama Propose It?
      Yesterday, Barack Obama spoke out about the pending sequestration flanked by first responders and others. What he did not mention was that sequestration was President Obama’s idea.

      Yesterday, President Obama said:

      "Emergency responders like the ones who are here today ― their ability to help communities respond to and recover from disasters will be degraded."

      >> Today's Sponsor
      2.  Urge Your Senator to Filibuster Chuck Hagel’s Nomination
      Senate Republicans currently have the votes to filibuster Chuck Hagel, but John McCain, Lindsey Graham, and others are going wobbly. There is no reason for Hagel to be Secretary of Defense and it is not just Republicans who should filibuster him, but Senators Pryor, Landrieu, and Senate Democrats from red states. . . . please click here for the rest of the post

      3.  S.E. Cupp, Straw Men, and Missing the Point About Rush Limbaugh.
      Over the weekend, an article in the New York Times highlighted the challenges that stand in the way of conservatives & Republicans to get the GOP straightened out.  I’ve written about our messaging crisis and the role it played in our electoral defeats as well as what I believe could help us recover and found the article to be a thorough investigation of the problem.

      Overall, the NYT article was fair and painted a mostly accurate picture of our situation.  The article provided quotes from friends of the blogosphere like Erik Telford, as well as RedState co-founder, Ben Domenech.  Some of the opinions varied on which messages should be at the front of our efforts, and I can’t say that I agree with everything that those interviewed had to say.  That’s not especially unusual as I would hope that we can disagree and come to common ground to fight our mutual opposition and stand on our shared principles. . . . please click here for the rest of the post

      4.  Colorado Speaker Claims Sexists Remarks Were ‘Out of Context’
      Mark Ferrandino, Democratic Speaker of the Colorado House of Representatives, claims that sexist remarks made by one of the members of his caucus were taken out of context. The comments, made by State Democratic Representative Joe Salazar, sparked an immediate backlash against the legislator and the Democratic leadership via social media outlets.

      Salazar’s comments, which trotted out the highly offensive idea that women are incapable of determining a threat to themselves due to their emotions, have yet to be denounced by any member of the Democratic leadership in Colorado. Instead, Salazar offered a non-apology apology which included an attempt to smear those who challenged his comments as racists. . . . please click here for the rest of the post

      5.  Colorado Democrat Says Women Can’t Be Trusted With Guns, Backers Fail To Rebuke
      While debating a bill on the Colorado house floor that would ban all firearms from Colorado university campuses, freshman lawmaker Joe Salazar (D-Thorton) suggested female college students should not have guns because they may shoot a non-rapist due to an irrational fear of being raped. In his remarks in favor of the campus gun ban, Salazar noted that women on college campuses have other methods of protection against assault, including call boxes and whistles. . . . please click here for the rest of the post

      >> Today's Sponsor
      Sincerely yours,

      Erick Erickson
      Editor-in-Chief, RedState

      Forward This Email to a Friend
      Take me to RedState
       When replying to this message,
      plz cc:
      to assure prompt reply.
      TEA Party Nation
      Top Ten Tips For Getting The Most From Your TPN Membership!

      I’m as mad as hell,
      and I’m not going to take it any more.

      Mrs. Richard "Peggy" Martin (1935 - 2012)