Re: [World-wide_Politics] Fw: Huge loss for U.K.'s Labour in local elections

  • Timothy-Allen Albertson
    Message 1 of 11 , May 3 4:30 PM
      Red Ken is gone!!!

      --
      12 ¶ Thou shalt have a place also without the camp, whither thou
      shalt go forth abroad:
      Message 2 of 11 , May 3 4:32 PM
        How Scot is Labour leadership

        Do they hold constiuencies from north of the border? or south?

        On 5/3/08, ukfizwit <ukfizwit@...> wrote:

        > That's right, Mary.
        >
        > The English really hate this Scots dominated Labour government.
        >
        > They've been denying Cancer drugs to the English, but taxing the
        > English to pay for the same drugs to be given to Scots.
        >
        > And if an English student takes a job to pay his way through university,
        > he's taxed to pay for Scottish students. They treat England like an
        > occupied country.
        >
        > Ted
        >
        > >Huge loss for U.K.'s Labour in local elections
        > http://news.mobile.msn.com/en-us/articles.aspx?afid=1&aid=24433697
        > <http://news.mobile.msn.com/en-us/articles.aspx?afid=1&aid=24433697>

        --
        12 ¶ Thou shalt have a place also without the camp, whither thou
        shalt go forth abroad:
        13 And thou shalt have a paddle upon thy weapon; and it shall be,
        when thou wilt ease thyself abroad, thou shalt dig therewith, and
        shalt turn back and cover athat which cometh from thee:
        Deuteronomy 23:12-13 (KJV-LDS)
      • ukfizwit
        Message 3 of 11 , May 4 6:20 AM

          Their constituencies are in Scotland.  Then they pass legislation that only affects England and Wales.

          I should add that this is a system created by them.  When they came to power the UK was all one country.  Then they gave home-rule to Scotland with Scotland having the right to legislate for England.  They did this because England always votes Conservative, and so they'd have lost control if England were also given home-rule.

          If you can imagine the Northern States of the USA being allowed to vote on matters only affecting the South, but not allow the South to vote on anything affecting the Northern States, you have an idea of what's happened.  It's really a form of occupation.

          Ted

          --- In World-wide_Politics@yahoogroups.com, "Timothy-Allen Albertson" <camotim@...> wrote:

          > How Scot is Labour leadership
          >
          > Do they hold constiuencies from north of the border? or south?
          >
          > On 5/3/08, ukfizwit ukfizwit@... wrote:
          > >
          > > That's right, Mary.
          > >
          > > The English really hate this Scots dominated Labour government.
          > >
          > > They've been denying Cancer drugs to the English, but taxing the
          > > English to pay for the same drugs to be given to Scots.
          > >
          > > And if an English student takes a job to pay his way through university,
          > > he's taxed to pay for Scottish students. They treat England like an
          > > occupied country.
          > >
          > > Ted
          > >
          > > >Huge loss for U.K.'s Labour in local elections
          > > http://news.mobile.msn.com/en-us/articles.aspx?afid=1&aid=24433697
          > > <http://news.mobile.msn.com/en-us/articles.aspx?afid=1&aid=24433697>
          > >

          > --
          > 12 ¶ Thou shalt have a place also without the camp, whither thou
          > shalt go forth abroad:
          > 13 And thou shalt have a paddle upon thy weapon; and it shall be,
          > when thou wilt ease thyself abroad, thou shalt dig therewith, and
          > shalt turn back and cover athat which cometh from thee:
          > Deuteronomy 23:12-13 (KJV-LDS)

        • Timothy-Allen Albertson
          Message 4 of 11 , May 6 7:01 PM
            Once had something similar with the lengthy service of Senators
            from the South who wielded extreme power as committee chairmen.

            --
            12 ¶ Thou shalt have a place also without the camp, whither thou
            shalt go forth abroad:
            13 And thou shalt have a paddle upon thy weapon; and it shall be,
            when thou wilt ease thyself abroad, thou shalt dig therewith, and
            shalt turn back and cover that which cometh from thee:
            Deuteronomy 23:12-13 (KJV-LDS)
          • Servo Kamen
            Message 5 of 11 , May 10 7:15 PM

              The English really hate this  Scots dominated Labour government.

              They've been denying Cancer drugs to the English, but taxing the English to pay for the same drugs to be given to Scots.

              And if an English student takes a job to pay his way through university, he's taxed to pay for Scottish students.  They treat England like an occupied country.

              Ted

              That seems a bit strange, since the capital is in England.

              SHADOWKamen. GIF WARS! http://shadowkamen.tripod.com/ (Animated GIF website)

              Send offlist e-mails to info_servo@...

            • Servo Kamen
              Message 6 of 11 , May 12 9:10 AM

                From: ukfizwit <ukfizwit@...>

                If you can imagine the Northern States of the USA being allowed to vote on matters only affecting the South, but not allow the South to vote on anything affecting the Northern States, you have an idea of what's happened.  It's really a form of occupation.

                Ted

                That's pretty much what caused our Civil War.  Except that it was because the Northern members of Congress greatly outnumbered the Southern members and kept passing legislation that harmed the Southern economy by passing extreme taxes on cotton exports to Britain.

                Message 7 of 11 , May 13 8:13 AM

                  That seems a bit strange, since the capital is in England.

                  It goes back to the Act of Union of 1707.

                  Like a lot of political history, it isn't straight forward; but basically, Scotland was in a financial crisis due to its failed colony in the Americas, and England was afraid of the possibility of a French/Scottish alliance invading from the North.  So England bailed Scotland out financially in return for agreeing to a union, to which the Scottish parliament voted in favour.

                  Both countries already shared the same monarchy, which was based in London, and England was a much bigger country.  So it was logical that the new Union capital would be London.

                  Later, in 1801, Ireland joined.  And of course we must not forget Wales, which had been part of England since Norman times.

                  Does that explain it?

                  Ted

                • Servo Kamen
                  Message 8 of 11 , May 15 7:36 AM

                    That seems a bit strange, since the capital is in England.

                    It goes back to the Act of Union of 1707.

                    Like a lot of political history, it isn't straight forward; but basically, Scotland was in a financial crisis due to its failed colony in the Americas, and England was afraid of the possibility of a French/Scottish alliance invading from the North.  So England bailed Scotland out financially in return for agreeing to a union, to which the Scottish parliament voted in favour.

                    Both countries already shared the same monarchy, which was based in London, and England was a much bigger country.  So it was logical that the new Union capital would be London.

                    Later, in 1801, Ireland joined.  And of course we must not forget Wales, which had been part of England since Norman times.

                    Does that explain it?

                    Ted

                    Yes, but how is it that the Scots are dominating it?

                    Message 9 of 11 , May 15 12:21 PM

                      Yes, but how is it that the Scots are dominating it?

                      As well as Scotland, Wales also traditionally votes Labour.  That's why Labour allowed Wales its own government.  Also, they have more MPs per capita than England.

                      In England, Labour mostly has MPs in areas with large underclasses and immigration, and so it's a minority party in England.

                      As to why the Scots dominate the Labour Party, it seems to be that they organized themselves as a caucus, and attracted those English MPs who thought that jumping on the Scotch bandwagon would be good for their career.

                      Ted