WWII vet Delbert Belton, 88, beaten to death by black teens

  • Don Divine
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 23 8:15 AM
      Don Divine WWP Email Member (d3869@...)
      WWII vet Delbert Belton, 88, beaten to death by teens in Spokane,
      Washington
      http://www.cnn.com/2013/08/23/us/world-war-vet-beating-death

      An 88-year-old World War
      II veteran was brutally beaten and left for dead by two teens outside a lounge
      in Spokane, Washington, where he loved to go play pool.

      The motive? Police don't
      have one. The teens appeared to have picked him at random, authorities say.

      Delbert Belton, a
      retired aluminum company worker, served in the Pacific. There, friends say, he
      took a bullet in the leg during the Battle of Okinawa.
      He survived that attack.

      But Wednesday night,
      Belton -- affectionately called "Shorty" by friends for his height --
      headed to the Eagles Lodge where he was a regular.

      Police found him in the
      parking lot, with serious head injuries. He died Thursday.

      "It does appear
      random," Spokane police Lt. Mark Griffiths told reporters. "It
      appears he was assaulted in the parking lot and there was no indication that he
      would have known these people prior to the assault."

      It's the second time in
      a week that a seemingly random attack by teenagers has claimed a life.
      On August 16, a
      23-year-old Australian baseball player attending college in Oklahoma was gunned down in the town of Duncan.

      One of three teens
      police arrested in that shooting said they carried it out because "we were
      bored and didn't have anything to do."

      'All there is is bad news'

      The randomness of the
      two attacks was not lost on Ted Denison, who's been friends with Belton for a
      long time.

      "It's really
      depressing," Denison told CNN late Thursday night. "Seems that all
      there is is bad news."
      The two men met more
      than 20 years ago and worked on cars together.

      "We were mechanic
      buddies," the 42-year-old Denison said. "We just kind of kicked right
      along."
      But the friends also
      hung out together outside the garage.

      "We went dancing on
      Saturday nights," Denison said. "We went out to breakfast
      together."
      Belton stopped by the
      Eagles Lodge two or three times a week. He played pool, but by his own
      admission, wasn't too good at it.

      "He went up there
      and played pool, met with some of the guys he used to work with at Kaiser
      Aluminum," where he was employed more than 30 years, Denison said.

      His wife died several
      years ago. The WW II vet is survived by a son, 65.

      Waiting for a friend

      Wednesday night, Denison
      was outside the lodge waiting for a friend because he didn't want her to walk
      home alone, Lillian Duncan told the Spokesman-Review newspaper.

      "He was so
      awesome," Duncan told the paper. "Anybody that didn't get to know him
      missed out on a wonderful angel in their life."

      Police are looking for
      two suspects. Witnesses described them as "young African American males of
      average build," according to a police statement.

      Officers used K-9 search
      dogs to search for the suspects, swept for fingerprints on the chain link fence
      in the area where they were last seen headed, and scoured through surveillance
      tapes.
      So far, the attackers
      haven't been found.

      "We are actively
      looking for the suspects in this tragic incident and following up on tips and
      other leads in order to bring those responsible to justice," said police
      spokeswoman Monique Cotton.
      Outside the lodge
      Thursday, friends and strangers alike left flowers, flags and messages for
      Belton.
      Belton never had
      problems outside the lodge before -- no threats, no altercations, Denison said.
      "If he had, I would
      have made sure I was there."

      “Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains or slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take but as for me; give me liberty or give me death!”
      --Patrick Henry

      The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.

      Thomas Jefferson
    • Elyse
      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 23 8:43 AM
        Elyse Buongiorno WWP Invitee (USMCdaughter1@...) Welfare will just make more of them.

        Gary Beauregard aka Bear (beau@...) They really need to xxxx more of these callous little bastards.

        Don Divine WWP Email Member (d3869@...) An 88-year-old World War II veteran was brutally beaten and left for dead by two teens outside a lounge in Spokane, Washington, where he loved to go play pool.
      • Postherguy@...
        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 23 8:46 AM
          Post her Guy aka Judy Carter of Lincoln, Nebraska WWP Email Member (Postherguy@...) Are you trying to "insinuate" that this is some how linked to liberals?

          That's a very cheap trick.

          And highly dishonest.

          (http://www.cnn.com/2013/08/21/justice/australia-student-killed-oklahoma/index.html) .

          (http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2013/aug/22/two-teens-suspected-north-spokane-killing/) newspaper.

          (http://crimestoppersinlandnorthwest.org/crimeoftheweek.aspx?ID=13321) .

          =
        • Anneteresa1@...
          Message 4 of 13 , Aug 23 11:59 AM
            Anne WWP Invitee (Anneteresa1@...) It is Plain Evil, to kill an Elderly Man who Served Our Country.

            DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT COLOR THEY WERE.

            NOTE. IF BLACK YOU WILL HEAR NOTHING FROM Al Sharpton. (POS).

            AG

            Elyse Buongiorno WWP Invitee (USMCdaughter1@...) Imagine - surviving the horror of Okinawa only to be murdered in the very
            country you sought to defend.

            Sent from my iPhone

          • ELLIAJT@...

              Message 6 of 13 , Aug 23 1:19 PM
                Elyse Buongiorno WWP Invitee (USMCdaughter1@...) Oh please give me a break Ellia. Get the stupid out of your pampers for once.

                Gary Beauregard aka Bear (beau@...) Back off Ellia, your comment was over the top.

                Message 7 of 13 , Aug 23 1:30 PM
                  Ellia J. Trujillo WWP Poster who believes defecation helps her think more clearly (ELLIAJT@...) Who left you in charge??????

                • happycyn1@...
                  Message 8 of 13 , Aug 23 3:36 PM
                    Cynthia WWP INVITEE (happycyn1@...) Ellia, you are correct. Cynthia

                    Elyse Buongiorno WWP Invitee (USMCdaughter1@...) Oh please give me a break Ellia. Get the stupid out of your pampers for once.

                    Gary Beauregard aka Bear (beau@...) Back off Ellia, your comment was over the top.
                  • Paul Dunk
                    Message 9 of 13 , Aug 23 6:01 PM
                      Paul Dunk World-wide_Politics Member (paul_dunk@...)
                      Homicide Suspect
                      1 / 3

                      Message 10 of 13 , Aug 23 6:23 PM
                        Christopher Lund WWP Member (mccloedskilt@...) Now just think, if some crime fighter like George Zimmerman had blown these pieces of xxxx away first as they deserved the old gentleman, Delbert Belton, would still be alive.

                        GEORGE ZIMMERMAN FOR PRESIDENT!

                        No direct un-apportioned tax confirmed by the US Supreme Court rulings.
                        Nous Resterons La.
                        Chris Lund

[...]

                      • kurt31416
                        Message 11 of 13 , Aug 23 6:48 PM
                          Kurt Pi WWP Member (kurt31416@...) He was waiting for a woman friend to arrive, to escort her in, to protect her. He did. If he had gone inside, she would have been the victim.

                          A real man. A man of honor. A gentleman.

                          There are worse ways to die at 88, than being a hero.
                        • Jan Fry
                          Message 12 of 13 , Aug 24 2:48 AM
                            Jan Fry WWP Member (rockysma1@...) Spokane is wider spread, than most realize. 92% of Spokane's population is Caucasian. The 8% represent Native Americans and immigrants from Asia, Mexico, Cuba and Ethiopia. The area is basically economically depressed.

                            Actually ... Mr. Delbert Belton was in the Eagles' parking lot, as an Eagles' member ... where he played pool with his 42 year old buddy with whom he tinkered with fixing cars. That day Mr. Delbert Belton had gone to the Eagles club, but his buddy had not. According to police reports, Mr. Belton did not know his assailants and had died in hospital from sustained injuries. Apparently Mr. Belton was being robbed and according to surveillance camera of Eagles' parking lot and entrance, two dark skinned young men were seen. But not the robbery itself. But one of them, the 19 yr. old, had "confessed" having beaten Mr. Belton. But not the younger one. According to local news, Mr. Belton was widowed a couple of years ago.

                            Ellia J. Trujillo WWP Poster who believes defecation helps her think more clearly (ELLIAJT@...) Does it really matter what the color of his skin was? How dare you send inflamed messages any one who has served our country is a Hero. ET

                            Anne WWP Invitee (Anneteresa1@...) It is Plain Evil, to kill an Elderly Man who Served Our Country. DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT COLOR THEY WERE. NOTE. IF BLACK YOU WILL HEAR NOTHING FROM Al Sharpton. (POx). AG
                          • Feroz
                            Message 13 of 13 , Sep 9, 2013
                              Christopher...... You are absolutely RIGHT....... What I like to know.....where  the xxxxxxx is Mega Mouth Rev. Jessie Jackson...... Al Sharpton.....Civil Liberties and ALL the Wishy Washy Politically xxxxxd Up Correct WHITE Folks....

                              Why aren't they PROTESTING and Deman- ding the Lynching of these Black Garbage Teens......Why....why and why ??????

                              Why this half baked Obongo Hasn't Openedhis xxxxty Mouth. Idiot was quick to defend the Black Hoodlum....saying that he could have been my Son........xxxxxx You xxxxxxx... Why the xxxk Don't you say that 88 years old gentleman was like MY...White ..... Maternal Grand Father. Who fought for USA and Offered his Life so we could live in peace.

                              Sadly.....the same situation is in my Beautiful Country....England. Phojee